Replaced Battery, Voltage at 19 and check gauge light on. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replaced Battery, Voltage at 19 and check gauge light on.

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a short somewhere. Which cable had high resistance? In that case start checking fuses as they might have blown.

Unread 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
tbain235
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced the starter and reconnected the battery, as well as cleaned the starter connections. The car got power, but when I went to turn it over it made one click and lost all power. I had to take mess with the battery connectors for a while before it would get power again, but it kept doing the same thing. The battery voltage was reading 0 and the check gauge light was on. With the battery connected, the negative terminal gets hot, unless I can pull power, and then it stays cool until I try and turn it over.

-I did a resistance check on all the lines and they came out good, as well as having the battery plugged in and checking the voltage.
-I had the battery tested and it is good
-I got a new starter
-I had the alternator tested and it was good
-I cleaned the majority of the grounds that I could find, however there were two that I was having trouble getting the bolts off (wrong tools)
-I checked all the fuses

Tomorrow I am going to get the correct tools and clean the rest of the grounds. Also, I might be missing some, does anybody know about where or how many there are? Short of doing that I am not sure what else it could be. Could there be something behind the dash that is messed up?

Also I am going to "Exchange the ASD relay with the Starter relay in the fuse box under the hood near the battery." -CJ7Tim had said.

Thanks for all the help.
tbain235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure what year your jeep is but what about the voltage regulator? On the newer ones like my 2000 I believe its in the computer. Maybe someone can give better advise on that . sounds almost like it over charged and ruined something. Also are you 100% sure your old battery was the problem ? If this was happening before you may be going about it the wrong way.
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #19
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Do you know how to 'hot-wire' and bypass the ing switch?
Run a POS(+)lead from the battery, to the POS(+) side of the coil.
Use a battery jumper cable and from the battery POS(+) touch the large terminal lead POS(+)on the starter. The engine should turn........
LG
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
tbain235
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The previous owner was the one that said the battery was old and going bad. I figured it was old so I was going to replace it anyways. Im going to go out there in the morning and see if I can check the voltage regulator.

Just so I understand what you are saying lumpygrits, I should hook on end of the jumper cable to the positive side of my batters, and then hook the other end to the positive terminal on the starter, and it should turn over. Do I need to do anything with the negative or should I just let it hang.
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

As long as the battery is properly grounded to the heep it will work. How long have you had the heep be for replacing the battery?
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #22
tbain235
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so I reached the limits of my knowledge and ability on jeeps and brought it in to firestone.

I recleaned all of the grounds.
I tried to do what LumpyGrits said and bypass, but I got nothing.
I tested the voltage from the battery to the starter positive lead and lost a volt and a half.
It wouldnt jump with the cables attached to the neg terminal, it would only jump with the cable attached to the ground on the jeep. After it ran for a minute or too it did the same thing with the voltage shooting up to 19.

Whenever firestone is done with it and charges me a ton of money Ill let you guys know what they said the problem was. I appreciate all of the help in trying to fix my issue.
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Im trying to follow what you are saying . Its almost as if your jeep isnt grounded. Please do let us know what it is. Also silly question... are you sure you hooked the battery is correct ? Thermals on new battery were the same as old one.
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

What is you battery ground NEG(-) attached to?
LG
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
tbain235
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well firestone called me and said there was too bad of a draw. They didnt charge me anything so I guess thats good.

The ground going straight from the battery is connected to the side of the car right next to it. I took it off and cleaned that connection with a wire brush.

Also, I did check and make sure the terminals were hooked up right haha.

I guess my next step is to try and find somebody that can look at it. Am I correct in assuming that it is not a cable and is most likely a bad ground or open circut somewhere?
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #26
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had something similar when my winch failed it put a huge load on my system to the point it would go down to like 8 or 9 volts at idle but never skyrocketed.
How do they know its a drain?
So I guess the question is , what's on the jeep that's not stock like lights , winch , system ? You could remove all fuses and relays and add one at a time till you notice a draw.
Im still saying voltage regulator. And there should be a ground cable going to the engine block as well.
It goes from neg to the block just behind the alternator there are two studs.
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #27
tbain235
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah there was a ground going to the side and a ground going to the engine block. Those where the only two that I could find. I cleaned off those connections, as well as all of the ones going to the battery/starter/alternator.

There was one wierd thing that happened. Sometimes the thing would randomly get power after I had been messing with things for a while. When I try and turn it over, it just clicks once and then wont happen again. I was trying to do what LumpyGrits said and connect the starter straight to the battery. The key was turned on, but I was getting no power. When I went to connect the jumper cable to the starter first, power went to the vehicle. Now that I think about it thought, maybe the other end of the jumper cable had been grounding it out. Ill try and mess with that tomorrow. Also Ill see what I can do about the voltage regulator, but Im not even sure where that is haha. Fuses too.

I had aftermarket lights but I disconnected them.
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #28
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Even with the key off pos battery to pos starter with jumper cables , it should turn over. How are your terminals for the battery cables that connect to the battery?( I know we've been over this ) are they stock or after market ? On my ranger every couple of months it clicks and I loose power because the cable isnt tight enough after I tighten it its all better. What year is the jeep (sorry im on the app)
Also there is a pos cable going to the fuse block have you cleaned that ?
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
tfink
1993 ZJ 

bad ground between the motor and the jeep?
tfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #30
tbain235
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Its a 2001. The cables to the terminal are stock. My old jeep was sitting for 8 months, so the jumper cables are all rusty. Ive used them to jump a bunch of peoples cars, but they might be too rusty to work on the starter. That being said, the starter wouldnt turn over either way. I just got a new starter, so I know its not that, but maybe its on of the connectors? I might take off the fancy little connector thing that it came with and just strip the wire and put it directly on in case its that (not the big on that goes to the positive terminal but the other one)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.