Replace or McGuyver my air box? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Replace or McGuyver my air box?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
NateWoods85
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Replace or McGuyver my air box?

Hey gang, I'm pretty new with fixing my own cars- my dad (who passed away last month) was always my mechanic for more serious things. I replaced a power steering pump by myself a few months back, but that's about all I've done. I'm just sort of learning as I go- so I thought you guys might be able to give me some advice.

I hit a deer on the left front of my '95 cherokee and need to replace my whole grille assembly and a headlight/signals, but the thing I'm stuck on is the air filter box. The impact pushed the radiator into the existing box and busted it up a little, I'm wondering if there's a way I can fix this thing (duct tape?). I can't find much in terms of a replacement on the web, and I'd much rather do this thing cheap anyway.

Your thoughts?

NateWoods85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
FISTFULL
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to hear about your father. Depending on how many pieces it is in, you may be able to just bond the pieces together with JB weld. If not actually broken, but just cracked, you could seal it with some RTV silicone.
99 Sport, 3.5" RE front coils and Quadratech HD rear leafs with RE AAL, Rusty's shocks. RE HD ADJ Track Bar. RE Hack n Tap SYE. 32"Falken Mountain Peak AT's on 15x8 (4.5"bs) procomp rockcrawlers. YJ Front Brake Lines. 2.5" IRO catback with Magnaflow cat. C4x4 Tow Hooks. Rear Diff Guard. Warn Front Diff Guard and TC Skid. Yakima rack. Mega Warrior Safari Rack. Cobra CB. AJ's Rocker Guards. JCR Stage 1 rear bumper. JCR Stage 4 front bumper. ORE front steering box brace.
FISTFULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateWoods85 View Post
Hey gang, I'm pretty new with fixing my own cars- my dad (who passed away last month) was always my mechanic for more serious things. I replaced a power steering pump by myself a few months back, but that's about all I've done. I'm just sort of learning as I go- so I thought you guys might be able to give me some advice.

I hit a deer on the left front of my '95 cherokee and need to replace my whole grille assembly and a headlight/signals, but the thing I'm stuck on is the air filter box. The impact pushed the radiator into the existing box and busted it up a little, I'm wondering if there's a way I can fix this thing (duct tape?). I can't find much in terms of a replacement on the web, and I'd much rather do this thing cheap anyway.

Your thoughts?
Sorry to hear about your father.

Keep on learning man. You can learn anything on these forum(s). In fact, i trust these guys more than i'd trust my local mechanic.

If i were you i'd go to a junkyard and pull one of them out of a jeep. Would be much cheaper than buying a new one. If you don't want to do that, you can opt for a K&N air intake instead. (Which are often considered overpriced and over-rated.)

If yours isn't too bad, i'd just try to glue it back together.

Have any pictures of the damage?

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe it's time for one of these http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7101_07.htm (or any variant thereof)?
(Spectre Cold Air Induction)

Otherwise, Duct tape will fix anything
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Since you need a new grill and headlights sounds like a trip to the JY is in order so just go ahead and get the air box also.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
NateWoods85
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Hit up a self-serve junkyard and got Everything I needed for the repairs (could still use a fender, but that's not a necessity right now) for about 150 less than it would have cost online. Got a like-new air box! Thanks for the advice, guys. Maybe I'll put some pics up as I go.
NateWoods85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.