Repair/Troubleshoooting and Lift Q's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Repair/Troubleshoooting and Lift Q's

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
jdtorque
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Repair/Troubleshoooting and Lift Q's

Hi everyone, I just joined up. I have a 99 Cherokee sport wwith a 98 limited interior, and I am having some problems, and some dreams.

I'll start with the problems, hopefully someone out there can give me some guidance on them.

I needed to do a couple repairs to get it to pass inspection. I was getting an error code for Bank 1 sensor 2 O2 sensor, and when I went to check out the sensor, I could literally snap off the top half in my hand. So I disconnected the sprayed it with WD-40 and warmed up the pipe.

Yeah, that F*&ker isn't going anywhere. IO absolutely could not get it off, and now it is fairly well striped after the P.O.S. O2 removal tool I was using slipped on it. Any suggestions on how to get it off? I need to replace it to pass inspection. The muffler coudl use replacement too, so I'm thinking about just replacing the whole exhaust from the manifold back, but woudl liek to get the sensor done without going through that whoel process in the dead of winter in Buffalo. (It was -3 here this morning) and my garage, while spacious is not heated)

2. I am peridodically overheating, I have a slow coolant leak, as evidenced by the fact that I have to keep adding coolant, but I can;t find the damn thing. I don;t know if anyone is aware of a problematic spot I shoudl be sure ot check out. Any guidance is appreciated.

3. This is stupid but my ABS light is on. I don;t know if that indicates a malfunction or not. Have not noticed any problems with braking.

4. Finally and most mysteriously, there is a charge reading/volt gage (I dont; knwo what to call it) in the dash. It spends 90% of it's time hanging out all the way at the bottom, and the check gauge light comes on. I don't have problems wiht the battery dying or anything, (except for corrosion preventing a good charge from the terminals occasionally. (It's a very old battery) I'll be perfectly honest, I an turn a wrench, but electrical issues make me go cross eyed.

As to the dreams, I think the leaf springs coudl use some replacement, and given that I have no idea what the service scehdule of the car is, I think I could swith the shocks as well. I'm thinking about giving it a 2 inch lift while I'm at it. Can anyone point me in the direcytion of a good kit, that includes everything I woudl need? I have modified my mustang quite a bit, but have no familiarity with the reputations of various aftermarket jeep suppliers.

Sorry for the long winded thread. thanks so much for reading and any hellp

jdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
jdtorque
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Also, one more weird thing popped up. With the headlights on, the radio will sometimes cut out, and then turn back on if I turn the headlights off. HELP!
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
98_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

1. You might have to take it to an exhaust shop and get it on a lift and see whats going on with the O2 sensor.
2. There could be numerous places but some common places are the weep hole on the water pump (going bad) or a crack in the radiator.

1998 Jeep XJ Limited 4x4
- Rough Country Series II 3" Lift
- 31-10.50-15 Duratracs on Black Rocks
- JCR Offroad Stage 3 Front Bumper

2010 Chevy Equinox
98_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
jdtorque
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I thought it might be the water pump - where is the weep hole on it?

Also I have been squealing from the belt for a long time now. . .

Tags
02 sensor , alternator , coolant , exhaust , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.