Repair headliner board? Help! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Repair headliner board? Help!

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 06-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23

Precisely. Two 6x9's in wedge boxes and a 6" Bazooka tube sub are what's hooked up to it.
Well I wasn't aware the amperage would be calculated off of the rms, and also I saw the volts were rates at 14.4, so I guess my amp would really be 300/14.4 which is 21 amps. So yeah 4 gauge is way overkill, but its already in there and I'm probably not going to take it out. Idk if it will sound any different cause my sub isn't in there right now

mitchconley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well, you'd probably need to measure the specific voltage that's making it to the amp (approx. 13.8 minus the voltage drop caused by the length of the wire) in order to estimate the current draw, but as long as the wire is fused appropriately there shouldn't be any issues. If nothing else, using 4 AWG wire will insure minimal voltage drop
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #18
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Right on that works for me.

Back on the headliner topic, I can't seem to find the light gray that came in my jeep from the factory besides online, but I am skeptical about ordering online because I can't find the name of the color anywhere. At Stockinteriors.com the closest color they have is called quicksilver. I am considering changing my mind about the light gray and just buying the dark gray that Jo-Ann's carries but I plan on reupholstering the overhead console ad I want that to stay light gray to match the visors (yeah yeah some of you will be shaking your heads at me because of how picky I'm being). I was hoping I could buy the dark gray fabric for the headliner and then use the old headliner to redo the overhead console, assuming I can find a big enough piece of fabric that is in good shape. That will leave me with black leather, dark gray trim and headliner, and light gray visors, overhead console, and dome light.

I actually just thought of something while writing this, the piece that slides back and forth to block the sunroof is light gray. I want to redo this part but I'm not really sure how it comes out haha. Is it out the top or the bottom?

Edit: just came across this http://www.wlsheadliners.com/cheroke...liner-kit.html
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #19
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I thought the light charcoal looks closer to *my* liner
Personally, I'd look for a Camo pattern, or paint it.
As for the sunroof, you'd probably have to call the manufacturer about recovering the inner panel...
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #20
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Eh I can't do camo. I'm not a hunter and it wouldn't go with anything else. I was considering like an all gray digital camo but yeah. And I wish I knew who the manufacturer of the sunroof is, I didn't install it
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So I just picked up this medium gray fabric from jo-Ann's. the lady must have screwed up because she only charged me $4.00 for 3 yards! This was listed at $15.00 a yard, so definitely scored there. I've been having some trouble with the little details on this. The dome light I got at the jy isn't really going to work but I think I am going to try to make the old one work. I'll snap some pics when I get home. Also my sunroof shade has been giving me trouble. Doesn't match my new fabric but I just want to take it out because I never shut it anyway, just can't figure out how to get it out without breaking anything else.

image-2198059392.jpg
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #22
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you never USE the shade, can't you just leave it open and not worry about recovering / removing it?
Or is the shade exposed / visible when open?
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #23
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23
If you never USE the shade, can't you just leave it open and not worry about recovering / removing it?
Or is the shade exposed / visible when open?
Yeah it hangs out a couple inches when it's open. I think I'm gunna get just use some elbow grease and get that thing out.
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Elbow grease did the trick haha it was a PITA though. I had to squeeze my sausage fingers into the sunroof in the vent position to get two screws on each side for some crossmember that was restricting the shade. Almost lost my one torx bit into the abyss several times.

image-1096182263.jpg

image-456103801.jpg

Edit: so genius here thought it was a good idea to use my car wash coupon after I did this. I didn't think that crossmember piece really did anything so I didn't put it back in. As soon as a big wave of water hit my roof I learned that it really acts as a gutter for the back side of the glass. Oh silly me, I got a little wet but lesson learned, and the piece is back in.
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Headliner update, took apart my two overhead consoles (one in front of the sunroof and one behind) to wrap new fabric on them. The original console that went from the front to the backseat was cut into two pieces.

I started with the front because it was more in tact, took it apart and ripped the fabric off. The fun part was using a drill with an abrasive pad to get the old glue off. Once it was relatively clean I used the old piece of fabric as a general template and cut a piece of fabric out of my original headliner that came out of my jeep in the first place. I messed around with it for awhile, trying to figure out how to wrap it before glueing it and actually had to cut more fabric out cause it was the wrong shape but I eventually got the hang of it then proceeded to glue the new fabric on, and it came out pretty damn good!

image-368021063.jpg
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

These are the other pics I have, it said the file was too big to send from my phone so I put it in a new reply but it still saying that for one picture so I guess you don't get to see me getting the glue off.

image-2356402993.jpg

image-3180388188.jpg

Left the front console for awhile so it could dry sn started the back. I decided to sacrifice the sunroof shade to cut a small piece of metal out to close the gap on the end of it.
image-848512017.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take any more pics but all I did was cut that shape out with a sawzall, then trimmed it with wire snips (they did quite well) then filed it, painted it and glued it to the console. More pics tomorrow
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #27
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So I've FINALLY made some progress on this. Today I glued the fabric to the board.

image-1228733606.jpg

image-3943022597.jpg

image-849760603.jpg

Had to go to work so that's all I got done for today, more soon. Kinda taking baby steps with this because I really have no idea what I'm doing but so far everything I've done has came out pretty good. The interesting part is going to be glueing the fabric to the bottom of the sunroof mech in the car, we'll see how that works out..
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #28
lawsonr71
2007 WK 

Sprayed Headliner

Had I seen your post sooner I would have recommended Linex. Linex comes in a variety of colors and can be custom mixed. I had my headliner sprayed last year for $70 at a local shop. The linex helped reinforce the board and it will never sag again. This can be an option if you start having sag issues again, or you could cut your loses since the headliner is already out and have it sprayed.
lawsonr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #29
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonr71
Had I seen your post sooner I would have recommended Linex. Linex comes in a variety of colors and can be custom mixed. I had my headliner sprayed last year for $70 at a local shop. The linex helped reinforce the board and it will never sag again. This can be an option if you start having sag issues again, or you could cut your loses since the headliner is already out and have it sprayed.
So is it just like a tough paint that reinforces the board? Is it something that fabric could be glued onto? With my current situation I need to be able to stretch the fabric over the giant hole where the sunroof mech is
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #30
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Put the board back in today. It didn't come out as nice as I'd hoped. I'll have pics tomorrow after I get everything together

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.