Removing Transmission Cooler Lines from Radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Removing Transmission Cooler Lines from Radiator

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
bigbrowndog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Removing Transmission Cooler Lines from Radiator

I am pulling the entire drivetrain from a wrecked 98 XJ and putting it in my 88 YJ. I disconnected the upper transmission cooler line on the radiator with no problem, but the lower line does not simply come off and I know there must be a way.

You can undo the nut that attaches the line to the radiator, but the fitting does not come out of the radiator. I know you shouldn't have to remove the entire line to change out the radiator, but I just don't know the trick to getting this fitting off. And my Chilton manual is silent on this one.

Any help is appreciated. I hate to destroy the lines as I may need them with my new radiator for the YJ. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ty

bigbrowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

FSM says- quick connect fitting release tool 6935 may be needed.

Must be one of those snap together type fittings.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Rock Kustoms

cut it, its prolly corroded solid, just cut it , and replace w/ some 3/8" brake line, flare the ends, and slip the rubber line from you jeep over it and hose clamp
Rock Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
bigbrowndog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks you both for the quick response. Looks like I am going to have to cut it as I don't want to buy a tool I may use only once or twice.

Thanks for the help.

Ty
Unread 10-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
Kuasimodem

Push the fitting together, sqeeze the two tabs in with a pliers and pull the fitting apart.

Don't lose the two O rings!
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
Rock Kustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuasimodem
Push the fitting together, sqeeze the two tabs in with a pliers and pull the fitting apart.

Don't lose the two O rings!

yeah, if itll come apart, thats how to do it....if
Rock Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #7
Habibi

yo no prob cheap *** tool from advanced autpo parts for like 3 dollers... i got the high tech cool one for 11 dollers and its for all fuel lines and tranny lines i wound intest.. u might need it one day
Habibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have cut the tranny cooling lines on several older vehicles when replacing the radiator or adding a tranny cooler and have always replaced it with a small piece of hose, the kind you get with an aftermarket tranny cooler. Those lines do not have that much pressure in them and a hose with hose clamps will hold up just fine for the life of the vehicle.

Dave S.
LJ Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
bigbrowndog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Everyone. I just went ahead and cut it. Then I found I needed the same tool for the fuel rail. After looking at the tools on the internet and not wanting to make the trek to the auto parts store, I made my own tool.

I took a 1/4 inch wide piece of sheet metal (it was actually from one of those thin pieces of sheet metal you use to disengage your aftermarket stereo from the box). I wrapped it tight around the line and pinched it so that it looked like a band on a bird's leg. Then I slid it in and was able to disengage the quick connect on the fuel rail. Gonna just leave the band on their in case I need to disengage it again after I get this setup in the 88 Wrangler.

thanks again..

Ty
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
ckisela
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Can anyone tell me the order the O-Rings go back on for that fitting?
ckisela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
Decscorpion
1998 TJ Wrangler 

NOICE!!!!!!!! theres two o rings!!!! theres an order????
Thats all i got..
Decscorpion is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.