Removing Transmission Cooler Lines from Radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Removing Transmission Cooler Lines from Radiator

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 10-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
bigbrowndog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Removing Transmission Cooler Lines from Radiator

I am pulling the entire drivetrain from a wrecked 98 XJ and putting it in my 88 YJ. I disconnected the upper transmission cooler line on the radiator with no problem, but the lower line does not simply come off and I know there must be a way.

You can undo the nut that attaches the line to the radiator, but the fitting does not come out of the radiator. I know you shouldn't have to remove the entire line to change out the radiator, but I just don't know the trick to getting this fitting off. And my Chilton manual is silent on this one.

Any help is appreciated. I hate to destroy the lines as I may need them with my new radiator for the YJ. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ty

bigbrowndog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

FSM says- quick connect fitting release tool 6935 may be needed.

Must be one of those snap together type fittings.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Rock Kustoms

cut it, its prolly corroded solid, just cut it , and replace w/ some 3/8" brake line, flare the ends, and slip the rubber line from you jeep over it and hose clamp
Rock Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
bigbrowndog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks you both for the quick response. Looks like I am going to have to cut it as I don't want to buy a tool I may use only once or twice.

Thanks for the help.

Ty
Unread 10-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
Kuasimodem

Push the fitting together, sqeeze the two tabs in with a pliers and pull the fitting apart.

Don't lose the two O rings!
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
Rock Kustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuasimodem
Push the fitting together, sqeeze the two tabs in with a pliers and pull the fitting apart.

Don't lose the two O rings!

yeah, if itll come apart, thats how to do it....if
Rock Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #7
Habibi

yo no prob cheap *** tool from advanced autpo parts for like 3 dollers... i got the high tech cool one for 11 dollers and its for all fuel lines and tranny lines i wound intest.. u might need it one day
Habibi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have cut the tranny cooling lines on several older vehicles when replacing the radiator or adding a tranny cooler and have always replaced it with a small piece of hose, the kind you get with an aftermarket tranny cooler. Those lines do not have that much pressure in them and a hose with hose clamps will hold up just fine for the life of the vehicle.

Dave S.
LJ Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
bigbrowndog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Everyone. I just went ahead and cut it. Then I found I needed the same tool for the fuel rail. After looking at the tools on the internet and not wanting to make the trek to the auto parts store, I made my own tool.

I took a 1/4 inch wide piece of sheet metal (it was actually from one of those thin pieces of sheet metal you use to disengage your aftermarket stereo from the box). I wrapped it tight around the line and pinched it so that it looked like a band on a bird's leg. Then I slid it in and was able to disengage the quick connect on the fuel rail. Gonna just leave the band on their in case I need to disengage it again after I get this setup in the 88 Wrangler.

thanks again..

Ty
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
ckisela
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Can anyone tell me the order the O-Rings go back on for that fitting?
ckisela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
Decscorpion
1998 TJ Wrangler 

NOICE!!!!!!!! theres two o rings!!!! theres an order????
Thats all i got..
Decscorpion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.