Removing transfercase write up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Removing transfercase write up?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
mindless
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Removing transfercase write up?

Hey guys well i started getting going on my axle swap and sye install well everything went well with getting the axle out but then i came upon the transfer case and ill be damned if i know how to get that thing out LOL. I tried to find a write up on but didnt have much luck. If no one on here has a write up i may just go buy a book on it and go from there but hopefully some one does and even has some tips as to how to make it easier.

96 2 door xj 30/8.8 4.88s locked on 35s... lots of body mods from trees
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Unplug wires from rear of t-case. Unhook shifter linkage. Pull out the driveshafts. Secure transmission with a jack. Unbolt crossmember. Drop the jack down a bit to access bolts on top of t-case. Unbolt 6 bolts holding the t-case onto the trans. Pull t-case out.

It's really really easy. Just get under the jeep and do it, you don't need 271 pictures and a novel explaining it all in excruciating detail.
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
mindless
1996 XJ Cherokee 

HAHA alright cool i guess i was just alittle to tired and the fact that there is still mud caked everywhere didnt help looks like it will be coming out tomorrow.

Unread 07-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
1995sport
1995 XJ Cherokee 

do yourself and get a Stubby, or short curved wrench for the top 2 bolts on the T-case. I think they're 15mm? same as all the others.

Otherwise you will have a hard time getting to them....

2nd not needing a novel and eleventy-billion pictures.
1995sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
mindless
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yea i got the feeling it would be easy to come out when all the write ups started with it out of the jeep already lol. I guess i just wanted an excuse to call it a night im a bum what can i say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.