Removing leaf from RE1463 spring pack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Removing leaf from RE1463 spring pack

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 05-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
chance_p
2008 WK 

Removing leaf from RE1463 spring pack

Hey guys, I am running the RE1463 spring pack (advertised 3.5 inch lift) and it, along with my shims, puts my rear end at 5.5 inches over stock. My front end is only 3 inches over stock. I have been running it like this for awhile with intentions of adding a spacer and long arms up front, but I have finally decided to just stick with 31's and drop the rear down to 3-4 inches.

To do this I am planning on taking apart my leaf pack and removing one or two leafs to bring the rear down approximately 2 inches. Has anyone done this before, or have a suggestion as to which leaf(s) to remove? I was thinking about taking the second from the bottom out, but I'm not sure that will be enough. Maybe the first and second, any suggestions based off something more than just a guess?

Here is an image of the pack.

Unread 05-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I think you're on the right track. I'd be a little nervous to remove two per pack for fear the rest would suffer axle wrap and excessive sag, but I guess you could put leaves back in if that happens.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Vote here for the November Cherokee Of The Month!!!
The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
chance_p
2008 WK 

Incase anyone was wondering, I just took the second leaf from the bottom out and it lowered the back of the jeep 3/4 of an inch. I'm hoping for another 1/4 of an inch from the slight sagging that will occur in the third, now second, leaf from the bottom from not having the other leaf below it.

Im mounting up some 18 inch sahara take offs with bridgestone dueler a/t 255/70's tomorrow and I'll post a pic.
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

How new is your lift ? Mine sat at 5.5" in the rear for a few weeks then it settled to 4.25" after I wheeled it a and drove for few weeks with a few 90# bags of cement in the back .
Unread 06-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
chance_p
2008 WK 

Its about 9 months old now with plenty of flexing and loads on the springs. I honestly wish id have replaced my springs with factory replacements and done a shackle/ relocation bracket lift in the rear.

The pic i posted showed 5 leafs but my pack (aforementioned RE pack)actually has 6. After removing the second fom the bottom the ride is noticeably better but the shackle angle is still not ideal.
Unread 06-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
chance_p
2008 WK 

Ive got subwoofers and a couple mountain bikes and/ or a utility trailer hanging off my jeep so the springs should havebeen plenty settled. I just modifited the spring pack (removed second from the bottom leaf) and its almost perfect now
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
chance_p
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
How new is your lift ? Mine sat at 5.5" in the rear for a few weeks then it settled to 4.25" after I wheeled it a and drove for few weeks with a few 90# bags of cement in the back .
I already replied somewhat, but youd think a company with the rep RE has would produce a product that lifted as much as advertised. From your reply, assuming you have the same leafs, 3/4 of an inch (youre 4.25 compared to advertised 3.5) is so far off i dont understand how RE has such a great rep. Theyve caused me a lot of headaches.
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It is well known that RE springs need some use to break in and settle, and that they provide more lift than advertised. IMO, 3/4" isn't really a big deal.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
It is well known that RE springs need some use to break in and settle, and that they provide more lift than advertised. IMO, 3/4" isn't really a big deal.
I can tell you for a fact that they have always sat taller then advertised. They so that to compensate for heavy bumpers and armor on jeeps so they keep their advertised height. My lift has been on for a year now and I can say that it is finally flexing they way I want in the rear. But it took the Xj being loaded down and lots of climbing and descending rock waterfalls with 3- 3-1/2' tall ledges making sure the rear went 1 wheel at a time to break in the springs
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
chance_p
2008 WK 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.