Removing Engine from Transmission issues... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Removing Engine from Transmission issues...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Removing Engine from Transmission issues...

A Question for you Cherokee boys out there. I have a 95’ YJ but my wheeling buddy has a 90’ Cherokee (4.0 with the Rennix FI) so I’m asking on behalf of him… and me I guess as we’re both doing the work… plus a 2 other guys.

We were out wheeling back in January and he blew his engine. It was no surprise as it sounded like it was on his last leg and he already had another “donor” Cherokee waiting in the wings. Well, we took out the engine, tranny, and tc out of the donor Jeep without any major issues and got everything separated.

The problem lies with removing the engine from the 1st Jeep with the blown engine. We plan to remove the engine by itself and leave the tranny in the Jeep, put the other engine in and we’d be off.

The problem lies with the automatic transmission and removing it from a blown engine. I wasn’t there last night to help so I’ll describe the problem as best I can. Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong or thinking incorrectly. I have a manual tranny in mine and while I assisted in removing the drive train, I wasn’t there when they took the tranny off the good engine after it was out of the Jeep.

In order to remove the tranny, other than all the bolts from the tranny bell housing to the block (that’s another story on how to remove the top two torx bolts… haven’t figured that out yet) you have to disconnect the torque converter from the fly wheel. In order to do that, you take off the inspection plate and remove all 4 bolts by turning the torque converter to get to all 4 bolts. The problem lies in the fact that we can’t turn the crank (blown engine… threw the rod or something as there is a hole in the side of the block) so we can’t turn the flywheel which won’t allow us to turn the torque converter to get to all 4 bolts. We haven’t dropped the oil pan yet to see if we can possibly clear the way yet to turn the crank. Just thought someone might have some ideas.

Thanks.

Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
chiefbill1959
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You should be able to remove the engine with the TC still bolted to the crank. It should slip out of the tans. although you may have to jack the front of the tranny up a little.
chiefbill1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, we'll give that a shot. The Haynes manual says to keep the torque converter attached to the transmission, but if it'll come out still attached to the engine, then that's going to have to be the way to go.
Unread 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
ExpressoNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Its VERY easy to damage the front pump by bending the tines. I suggest removing the spark plugs, cutting a large chunk of the oil pan out, and banging on a piston with a piece of 1" rebar or similer to assist with rotating the engine. You did try to use the starter already, right?

~Nate

Crashing sucks!

Save money by using [url]www.advanceauto.com[/url]. Click my referral link to save up to 40% off retail cost! [url]http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/7l10p[/url]
ExpressoNate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpressoNate View Post
Its VERY easy to damage the front pump by bending the tines. I suggest removing the spark plugs, cutting a large chunk of the oil pan out, and banging on a piston with a piece of 1" rebar or similer to assist with rotating the engine. You did try to use the starter already, right?

~Nate
Are you talking about the oil pump or the pump in the transmission? Yeah, we've tried the starter... no go. We'll try it out. Thanks.
Unread 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
slayer2000

If the engine threw a rod then it's likely something is jammed up inside keeping you from turning it. you could pull the oilpan off and see if it's something easy to knock out of the way. If not I pulled my engine with the convertor still attached and I didn't have any problems. Mine had set for over a year with water in the bores and the oilpan off so it was rusted tighter than dicks hatband. I will tell you I found the easiest way to get to the top tranny bolts is to remove the motor mounts from the block and frame, then lower the front of the engine down with your hoist until you can reach them.
slayer2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I did something similar to Skayer2000 getting my top two Torx bolts out - I dropped the tailshaft (by removing the crossmember, and lowering the tailshaft with a floor jack). Then I strung together almost every ratchet extension I owned to reach the bolts. I couldn't use my impact wrench to do this because of all the wind-up in the extensions (which weren't impact-rated). Also, it's important to take those two out BEFORE you remove all the others - otherwise they'll be WAY too tight to get out.

GL with the project...
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
jonathoner
1998 XJ Cherokee 

those top two, i was able to get a 12 point 9mm box end wrench on them...
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
m1cha3l
1992 XJ Cherokee 

to get to those torx you can actually use a 10mm box wrench or ratcheting wrench from up top to get them out. it worked on my aw4 2wd when i had to install a new flywheel (bolts had loosened up and slotted the flywheel). mine was a 92 and had room to access them, not sure on newer models but i dont think anything changed in lines of firewall gap.
m1cha3l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 03:22 AM   #10
ExpressoNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doch80 View Post
Are you talking about the oil pump or the pump in the transmission? Yeah, we've tried the starter... no go. We'll try it out. Thanks.
Talking about the pump inside the transmission, and also concerned for the very delicate fins inside the torque converter. If you are removing the engine and want to reuse the transmission without issues, unbolt it. When it is unbolted, snap the tabs on the converter to the pump ears (push and turn on the converter, so it fully seats), and then wedge a piece of wood under it to keep the weight from being on the splines. Very common for a vehicle with bent torque converter splines to work, but make horrific noises and fail shortly.

Oh, and before removing the flywheel from the converter, spray-paint a line on the flywheel, and converter so you dont play the "which way does it go" game all evening.

~Nate

Crashing sucks!

Save money by using [url]www.advanceauto.com[/url]. Click my referral link to save up to 40% off retail cost! [url]http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/7l10p[/url]
ExpressoNate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.