Removing 97+ doors with power *write-up* - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Removing 97+ doors with power *write-up*

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-12-2009, 05:07 AM   #76
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus3 View Post
Are you joking? I seriously doubt that its structural. It only attaches on the bottom by the latch and it is held in place by rubber bumpstops which have quite a bit of give to them. I've seen XJ's wheeling with no tailgate doing some pretty hardcore stuff with no issues.
I'm just telling you what I've heard many times on this forum and others. I've seen an XJ wheeling without a hatch as well, but I definitely wouldn't do it. Seems to me the hatch could definitely play a part in lateral rigidity.

Plus, mine is metal and I'm sure it weighs more than the doors, so I wouldn't even want to try to get that off by myself.

Unread 03-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #77
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
I'm just telling you what I've heard many times on this forum and others. I've seen an XJ wheeling without a hatch as well, but I definitely wouldn't do it. Seems to me the hatch could definitely play a part in lateral rigidity.

Plus, mine is metal and I'm sure it weighs more than the doors, so I wouldn't even want to try to get that off by myself.
it is possible...the only times ive ever seen someone wheelin without a trunk, they had a strong interior cage to back it up
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #78
dkfireblade
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I first want to thank everyone for previous write-ups. I have looked through everything, maybe I missed this part.

I am stuck at the wires part. How do I feed the wires and plugs through the body? Any help would be appreciated.
dkfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #79
BIGplansNOmoney
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You must remove the body side inner and outer gaskets... take some dykes to them thats easiest... there is a large hole in the inner doorframe where they used to be...then just unplug the driverside 3 plugs and passengerside 4 plugs and feed them through...

JEEPERS: (GE-PURRS): Proud, Arrogant, Egotistical Creatures of the human variety that have an undying passion for motor vehicles manufactured by the JEEP company.
BIGplansNOmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #80
BIGplansNOmoney
1998 XJ Cherokee 

As far as hatch less... I thought about it and I dont think wheelin around would do much...but i dunno... any and every hatchless XJ i've seen have had some cage support, IE... JEEPSPEED XJ'S for example that have the spare tires hanging out the back

JEEPERS: (GE-PURRS): Proud, Arrogant, Egotistical Creatures of the human variety that have an undying passion for motor vehicles manufactured by the JEEP company.
Unread 03-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #81
dkfireblade
1998 XJ Cherokee 

woo! finally got the front doors off. thanks again for everyone that has done this before me, it made it a lot easier. I dont think i would have done it without these write-ups.
Unread 03-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #82
BIGplansNOmoney
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfireblade View Post
woo! finally got the front doors off. thanks again for everyone that has done this before me, it made it a lot easier. I dont think i would have done it without these write-ups.

Me neither lol thanks to my trusty jeep forum...

Unread 03-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #83
dkfireblade
1998 XJ Cherokee 

alright,
door off..check
hinges remounted...check
able to get doors back on... not so much

I've got everything on, holes lined up, but i cant seem to get a new hinge bolt through the top of each hinge. I have tried with it mocked up on the vehicle and it will not go in.
I took the door, set it on the ground and i can not get the bolt in their either.
When i go to put the bolt in it has to go in at a slight angle due to the door's design. However, the angle is too great to be able to go through the door-side hole and the inner vehicle side hole. It fits fine coming from the bottom up. only problem there is gravity.
what has everyone else done to remedy this situation, i.e. what bolts are you using, did you bend the door to make it fit, etc..
I am using a wire lock pin from home depot, 5/16" x 2-3/4"
I tried getting a pin with a cotter pin lock, but i couldnt find any that were long enough to go through both sides of the hinge.

thanks again y'all for any help.
Unread 03-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #84
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

grind the pin down until it fits. I just took bolts that were close and ground the threads off.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #85
dkfireblade
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ View Post
grind the pin down until it fits. I just took bolts that were close and ground the threads off.
its not really a diameter issue, they fit perfect when the hinge is off the door.
its more of a length to required angle issue.

the pin it self only extends past the hinge by 1/8" 1/4" not much room to cut off.

if i go with a shorter bolt, i am worries that only one connection point per hinge may cause unneeded stress on that junction leading to hinge flex.
Unread 03-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #86
dkfireblade
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i went to www.mcmaster.com to get the perfect bolt. one of my buddies is a research engineer at georgia tech and pointed me that way. awesome site if anyone needs parts for pretty much anything.
i got 8 5/16", 3" long ball lock pins for less that $16.
Unread 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #87
Kpat
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any pictures of all 4-doors off?
Also. I was under the impression that the door's are part of the structural integrity of the Jeep. Am I wrong??

Kpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #88
FleXJ00
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the write up, sharpie

No regrets...

^^...and no the doors are not structural...you can wheel with all four off if you like...
BLACK JEEP SOCIETY #256

2000 Cherokee Sport 162K
...with some stuff

I SUPPORT ROUGH COUNTRY
AND TREADWRIGHT
FleXJ00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #89
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Door do play an important roll structurally in the event of a collision, however. But you can definitely wheel like that!
XJcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #90
FleXJ00
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcruiser View Post
Door do play an important roll structurally in the event of a collision, however. But you can definitely wheel like that!
yeah i think if i get t-boned with my doors off, im dead... haha
BLACK JEEP SOCIETY #256

2000 Cherokee Sport 162K
...with some stuff

I SUPPORT ROUGH COUNTRY
AND TREADWRIGHT
FleXJ00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.