Removing 97+ doors with power *write-up* - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Removing 97+ doors with power *write-up*

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #61
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum8675 View Post
why cant you just remove the 6 torx bolts on each door....would that disconnect the door from the hinge without having to cut the pin?
x2...10 chars

C4x4 Front Tow Hooks/Rear Hidden Hitch[/CENTER][/SIZE]
xjguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #62
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
why cant you just remove the 6 torx bolts on each door....would that disconnect the door from the hinge without having to cut the pin?
Have fun lining the door back up so it'll close properly every single time you put it back on. Those bolts are the adjustment points of the hinges so you want to leave them exactly where they were from the factory. Its much easier to just cut the pins and get something else to use as pins. I used 5/16" bolts held on by nuts. Very simple fix.
Unread 06-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #63
Redrum8675
1978 CJ5 

but arent there three holes inside the door that match up exactly with the three holes on the hinge, so wouldnt you just have to get someone to hold the door in place, line up the holes, and screw everything back in place?.....i dunno seems easier to me
Redrum8675 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #64
fast64
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
but arent there three holes inside the door that match up exactly with the three holes on the hinge, so wouldnt you just have to get someone to hold the door in place, line up the holes, and screw everything back in place?.....i dunno seems easier to me
The three holes inside the door move around so you can adjust the door gaps.
Unread 06-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #65
madrabbitt

Jimmy is right.

The holes on the frame are intentionally larger then the holes on the plates, to allow for adjustment.
Whats supposed to happen, is the plate can be loosened, and adjusted up, down, front or back, to allow the door to line up properly, plus you can put shims under it to get it to adjust further out.

So no, Thats not easier.

quick release pins, or bolts, is easier.
You want to leave the jeep-side half of the hinge on the jeep, and the door-side half on the door.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #66
Redrum8675
1978 CJ5 

oooo alrite....thanks for the info
Redrum8675 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 11:24 PM   #67
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yea i used 5/16 bolts and they work perfectly fine.
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #68
BIGplansNOmoney
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
yea i used 5/16 bolts and they work perfectly fine.
Same...GRADE 8 - 5/16" - 2.5" fit perfect...

ALSO!!!! Be extra careful with the wiring harnesses coming outta the doors if you have power windows/ mirras/ and locks because they're really easy to bend or pinch...

(I Have no power windows) lol and I rolled them down to take em off... lol and its raining!!!

JEEPERS: (GE-PURRS): Proud, Arrogant, Egotistical Creatures of the human variety that have an undying passion for motor vehicles manufactured by the JEEP company.
BIGplansNOmoney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #69
R. Potts
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
I took my doors off this weekend, and I'm looking for an alternative to removing the dome-light buttons. I'm pretty sure these run off the IOD fuse, so I can't remove that, but are there any other options to shutting of the lights beside removing the buttons, or the bulbs? I'd like to run a switch, but I'm afraid I would have to tap into all 4 buttons.
Unread 03-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #70
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Everthought of removing the rear lift gate? I was looking and I thing the Pin replacement would work just the same...
ArmyFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #71
BIGplansNOmoney
1998 XJ Cherokee 

only in an XJ baby... the removable tailgate... EAT IT WRANGLERS!!!

ALSO if you do the mod and your doors ain't lined up right you can adj. them... fairly easily... with all this talk of the doors being on track and ****... theres an adj. plate on the backside of the door... that's what the 3 doorside hinge bolts go into... it moves around... IT WAS MADE FOR THIS PURPOSE... get a friend to give you a hand and loosen them... do the adj. and tighten them back up... might take a couple tries but its faster than waiting for a reply to your post saying "WILL I EVER GET THE FACTORY SEAL"

JEEPERS: (GE-PURRS): Proud, Arrogant, Egotistical Creatures of the human variety that have an undying passion for motor vehicles manufactured by the JEEP company.
Unread 03-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #72
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyFireFighter View Post
Everthought of removing the rear lift gate? I was looking and I thing the Pin replacement would work just the same...
Your XJ will fold like a taco.

Don't do it, its structural.
Unread 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #73
Amadeus3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Are you joking? I seriously doubt that its structural. It only attaches on the bottom by the latch and it is held in place by rubber bumpstops which have quite a bit of give to them. I've seen XJ's wheeling with no tailgate doing some pretty hardcore stuff with no issues.
Amadeus3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #74
bigbadXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yes thanks for the info !
bigbadXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #75
BIGplansNOmoney
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Also...

Does anyone know of any basic hardware that can be used as a hinge pin bushing??? they're WAY to pricey for what its worth and almost anyone that does this mod soon realizes their bushing are shot...

...I looked for something similar at hardware stores and such and O'Riley's ain't the right size... not a big deal just throwin it out there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.