Removing 97+ doors with power *write-up* - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Removing 97+ doors with power *write-up*

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #46
pfcstone777
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pointOH1998 View Post
I'm gonna have to try this out this summer
do it. you'll love it.

pfcstone777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #47
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

just thought id add this..a hydraulic jack works great for taking them off by yourself without worrying about dropping them. i just jacked up the end of the door, took the bolts out and had them off in 5 minutes.

also, no regrets doing this mod

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #48
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeehah, just pulled my doors off this evening. Not fun in the 90+ degree heat and humidity, I think I lost 5-10 lbs worth of sweat. Definitely wasn't a bad task, took less than 2 hours for the whole thing, mainly because I kept breaking the little crappy cutting wheels on my dremel. I think I used almost half of a 36 pack... I bought 5/16" grade 8 bolts and nuts to put them back on and everything fit just fine. The doors sag about 1/4-1/2" when opened on the bolts, but go right into place when I close them. Only problem I had was dealing with the damn electrical plugs and grommets. The passenger side plugs are super hard to get to being jammed up around the fuse panel, plus I can't stand fitting the rubber grommets back in the holes. I drove around a bit and love it, although it will take some getting used to. Might try to find someone to make me some basic tube doors. Anyways, here are pics! Oh yeah, ripped off the side trim on the doors so I can get ready to pull the flares, trim the fenders and herculine.

Unread 06-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #49
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah man, definitly takes some getting use to. i wasnt sure if i liked it at first when i did it, but now, no regrets (other then not having a jack under the door when i took the passenger door off (bent the hinge)) oh well, ill fix it soon enough..
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #50
XJ_jeepin_06
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I can take mine off by myself no problem.... getting them back on is impossible... I guess I might try putting the doors on then worrying about the wires... Its hard to balance my 100lbs doors. I still like taking them off tho.
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #51
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_jeepin_06 View Post
I can take mine off by myself no problem.... getting them back on is impossible... I guess I might try putting the doors on then worrying about the wires... Its hard to balance my 100lbs doors. I still like taking them off tho.
x2

i always say next time ill wait until i can leave them off for a week but everyday it turns nice and i dont have to work, i take them off and then say the same thing everynight when im outside at midnight with one of the doors on a floor jack trying to line up the hinges using a flash light and swearing.
Unread 06-10-2008, 04:32 AM   #52
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
x2

i always say next time ill wait until i can leave them off for a week but everyday it turns nice and i dont have to work, i take them off and then say the same thing everynight when im outside at midnight with one of the doors on a floor jack trying to line up the hinges using a flash light and swearing.
Pretty much what I was going through last night at about 10:30 and it was 80 degrees and 80% humidity My all power doors are heavy as hell.
Unread 06-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #53
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yea man, but you just cant beat having the doors off and laughing at all the people who just give you blank stares and ask you why you would take your doors off.
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #54
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
yea man, but you just cant beat having the doors off and laughing at all the people who just give you blank stares and ask you why you would take your doors off.
Exactly. Some of my mustang buddies are like 'why the hell would you do that?'
Unread 06-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #55
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Exactly. Some of my mustang buddies are like 'why the hell would you do that?'
yea same here except i dont have alot of mustang buddies.. i usually just respond with 'why not?' or 'its a jeep thing...'

only problem is here in minnesota, its almost impossible to predict the weather. when i left for work, there was no clouds and it was bright and sunny, 80 degree weather. when i was leaving work 7 hours later, it started pouring and still is..

i just hope i never get caught in a storm with the doors off..
Unread 06-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #56
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
yea same here except i dont have alot of mustang buddies.. i usually just respond with 'why not?' or 'its a jeep thing...'

only problem is here in minnesota, its almost impossible to predict the weather. when i left for work, there was no clouds and it was bright and sunny, 80 degree weather. when i was leaving work 7 hours later, it started pouring and still is..

i just hope i never get caught in a storm with the doors off..
Thats the one thing people always say to me. "It'll be cool until you get caught in the rain". I can't wait to drive to work one day (navy base) and see what the guards say about it lol. I would do it tomorrow, but it just rained tonight and I don't have time to take the doors off tomorrow morning. Maybe thursday...
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #57
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah its pouring here right now. tomorrow is my day off and there is a slight chance of rain but im taking them off anyways because im herculining the fenders and the rockers and need to get in the tight spaces near the front of the doors..so ill just take them off. people never really mention the rain to me, they just say 'what happens if you get side swiped?'. when it is raining out and im at work, my co-workers usually say, 'so do you have the doors back on your car right now?' and then i say 'i dont have a car'

but there are so many advantages to taking your doors off..like i mentioned above; i can now get the herculiner in those tight spaces very easily..
Unread 06-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #58
wfdbackdraft

Here's an idea for you guys. For the evenings, buy a car cover for it. That is only if there is nothing for thieves to steal inside of it.
Now for the problem of driving in the rain, someone should fabricate some plexiglass rain guards for the top of the door, and some more for the front of the doors. Kind of like deflectors on a goldwing or something. I wonder if that would keep you pretty dry inside while going down the road? And maby make these fasten with those 1/4 turn fasteners that race cars use?
For those guys that have already driven in the rain, do you think that this would work?
Michael
wfdbackdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #59
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

it did start to rain one time when i had the doors off..i only drove a mile in the rain. nothing got inside the jeep. wasnt coming down hard enough. it did get on the rear pillar a little bit but that was only when driving, it was only sprinkling though.

as for ways to make taking the doors off 20x easier..ive already started

Unread 06-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #60
Redrum8675
1978 CJ5 

why cant you just remove the 6 torx bolts on each door....would that disconnect the door from the hinge without having to cut the pin?
Redrum8675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.