Remote Filter Locations? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Remote Filter Locations?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 03-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Remote Filter Locations?

Hey Guys,
Just putting out another feeler. Ive decided since Im going with the triple e-fan setup on my radiator, Im going to upgrade my trans cooler (to a 6 pass), that I should use my old trans cooler (4 pass) for my engine oil.

Been thinking about the idea of doing a remote engine oil filter with trans filter. What do you all think about me mounting them just behind the steel support behind the front bumper? You know the steel spot just under the radiator? Seems like a huge space to me, could I fit two vertical mounted oil filters in that area? Or do you think thats a bad location?

Seems like a logical spot to me, but please share your thoughts. Thanks guys!

svshaw82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've got my remote trans filter mounted on the front cross-member, great location, plenty of room, relatively well protected, and easy to access.

(the yellow wire is for the sending unit for my trans temp gauge)

For the cooler I've got a B&M 70264 which is an excellent trans cooler (14,400 BTU) and is commonly recommended for the XJ. I would highly recommend the plate & fin coolers like this over the tube & fin coolers, plate& fin coolers cool better (for a given size) and are much more durable:
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Renix
1989 XJ Cherokee 

given the limited space it will work, what about make a bracket and place it behind the alternator. or if your like me and your ac doesn't work put the alternator where the ac is and now you have tons of room.
Renix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My a/c worked good when I pulled the system apart. I plan to put it all back together.
svshaw82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Planning to do this, too, for my transmission (external filter) but I'm looking for a place where I can do a vertical mount with the filter hanging below, so I don't dump trans fluid all over the place when I change it. I'd love to hear some suggestions.
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark View Post
Planning to do this, too, for my transmission (external filter) but I'm looking for a place where I can do a vertical mount with the filter hanging below, so I don't dump trans fluid all over the place when I change it. I'd love to hear some suggestions.
If you use a shorter filter you could do a vertical mount behind the cross-member, I used a Napa Gold 1452 / WIX 51452 which is a "heavy-duty" version of the NAPA 1515 / WIX 51515. The horizontal filter really doesn't make that much of a mess, I just stick a pan under it to catch the fluid that comes out and wipe the bottom lip of the cross-member with a paper towel when I'm done.

If you want to use a large filter it will be hard to find a place with clearance to mount vertical that isn't too exposed, possibly somewhere on the fire-wall if you don't mind running a lot of hose or if you go with a cowl intake or snorkel you could mount it where your air-box used to be (assuming you remove the air-box).
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I want to use the larger filter, and your setup looks pretty clean. Easy to access, but out of the way. Nice.

I'll have to get under there when the weather warms up and take a look. I have a sneaky plan for making trans flushes easy using the remote filter setup.
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.