Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

regear & lockers

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  gregmondro 
#1 ·
I want to regear to 4.56's and then install ARB air lockers later on. I know it would be cheaper to do it all together but it would be hard to come up with that much money all at once. tell me what I would expect to pay doing it all together vs. one and then the other.

#2 ·
With install probably about 3-4k. Depends on how bad somebody wants to rape you.

#4 ·
trailblaze said:
about 450 for gears/pinion/ring/carriers/ install kits for front and rear....plus locker cost, plus install which is about 300-400 if axles are off vehicle and prob 500+ if under jeep
Plus air compressor for ARBs.

#5 ·
If you can't find R&P's for $150, you're not looking hard enough, $80 Master rebuild kit, $50 for the larger carrier to accept the 4:56's.......then $300 for installation.

I would say roughly $600 per axle with NO ARB.

Add $750-$800 for the ARB....plus R&P setup again, PLUS compressor.......

If you plan to go ARB's anytime in the near future.......I would wait......you will save yourself $300 in labor PER axle..........

:cheers2:

#6 ·
do it all at once. like alpine recovery said, you'll atleast save yourself $300 per axle if you do everything at once.

#7 ·
If you do the gear install first you will need to get a different carrier for the D30 to accept the 4.56 cogs but not for the 8.25. So your wasting money on a D30 carrier.

Plus as mentioned above you will have to pay install fees a second time which prices do vary greatly. For both axles I would expect it to be a minimum of another $500. Because you are basically starting over and doing a whole new gear/locker install. The mechanic will have to reset the pattern again and then depending on the end result you may end up with a noisier set of gears.

I would rather set the gears on an ARB and be done. Perhaps you can buy the ARB and gears for the rear. Remove your front driveshaft so if you have a momentary brain lapse that you don't cause any damage. And then another 3-4 months you can have the front finished.

Granted it sucks not being able to have four wheel drive then, but you can still have some fun on easier trails with a locked rear. I would rather do that than waste $750.

#8 ·
you could always just save up the cash and do it all at once. Patience is a virtue my friend :)

#9 ·
you could also try to find a used arb and gears for sale somewhere too. I just managed to get an arb, 4.56 gears and alloy axles for my front axle for 600 total on a local forum.

#10 ·
so lets say I wait and save up enough to do it all at once, how much am I looking at for the lockers, gears, compressor, etc. and labor? oh yeah, I guess I need some 33's to go with the 4.56's too so that's another 800+

#11 ·
adds up quick doesn't it? if you regear now without an ARB it seems like a waste, just do it all at once, but you can find used carriers for 30's on ebay for like 20 bucks with spider gears in them. that could save you some money too.

that and doing the work yourself...unless you have a mechanic buddy with alot of free time on his hands.

#12 ·
He won't need carriers if he's getting ARB's since they are the locker and carrier all in one, so that will save some coin.

It does get expensive fast. I'm in the same boat, but getting a rear detroit and staying open in front w/ 4.56's to turn some 33-34" tars.

#13 ·
Definately agree in doing it all at once. It's easy to spend money on one bit and think "I'll do the rest later when I've got the money" but it's a false economy.

I wanted to get ARB's fitted for a while.

Then I went up to 33's and HAD to get it regeared so it was at that point that I got the ARB's fitted as well.

:thumbsup:

#14 ·
AndrewR said:
so lets say I wait and save up enough to do it all at once, how much am I looking at for the lockers, gears, compressor, etc. and labor? oh yeah, I guess I need some 33's to go with the 4.56's too so that's another 800+
labor is gonna depend on your area. Here in Albuquerque NM, everyone wants $300ish to setup gears

For pricing, hit up some JeepForum.com vendors or check the for sale forums. I got a great price on a detroit, master install kit, and a r&p for my D44 from DC4wd here on the forums.

#16 ·
also, I was just thinking... do I really need to lock front and rear? couldn't I just do one or the other and it will be enough? if I lock only one which one would be better front or back?

#17 ·
AndrewR said:
also, I was just thinking... do I really need to lock front and rear? couldn't I just do one or the other and it will be enough? if I lock only one which one would be better front or back?
you tell us :shhh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.