Refinishing my bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Refinishing my bumpers

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
firecat1981

Refinishing my bumpers

Figured I post this up here in case anyone has this issue.

The previous owner really messed up the plastic on my truck, he took a scothbright pad to them trying to get rid of oxidation and the old luv bug damage. No plastic "restoration" products worked, not did heating. So I was faced with either replacing them, or recoating. I redid the grill and headlight bezels after fixing the cracks the same way, so I knew it would work out ok.

Prep: I scrubbed the bumper with soapy water, sanded lightly with 220, the wiped clean with denatured alcohol.

Before: it was a lot worse then the picture shows.

Finished: I used several light coats of Duplicolor Bed Armor, it goes on spotty, but dries to a uniform fine grain finish. Then 2 coats of Krylon fusion satin black. I am pleased with the results.

Here you can see the unfinished fender flare, the whole front was just as bad before.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty happy with it, and the krylon touches up easily is need be.

firecat1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
scupking
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good!!
scupking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
firecat1981

Thanks, I can't wait to get it all finished.
firecat1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good!

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.