recovery gear help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > recovery gear help

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
bingolli
1993 XJ Cherokee 

recovery gear help

so i just realized that i need some recovery gear! i'm looking into some tow hooks for up front and a hitch for the back but i'm not exactly sure what to look for in terms of load rating, towing capacity, etc... if someone could explain what i need to look for it would be great. i also want to get a snatch strap, would a 20,000 lb one be enough? any and all help is appreciated!

Unread 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
funinmud
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you get a 2" receiver in the rear, and tow hooks using the proper brackets up front, you should be good to go. 20,000 lbs should be a good strap but I like to go as best I can with my funds, so I'd get the 30,000 or more one. But that's just me. Make sure you get a strap without hooks on it, and use d-rings, or the like for connections.

98 XJ on 32's and 2-3" lift, locked, armored, and ready to rock.
funinmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

For the tow hooks upfront I would believe that most people on here are going to recommend C4x4 Tow Hooks and for a rear 2" receiver I'd go with a class III. I have a 1 1/4" receiver on mine but thats what it came with I plan on building a custom bumper soon. I also have the C4x4 tow hooks waiting to be installed.
nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
bingolli
1993 XJ Cherokee 

could i use these tow hook mounting brackets to mount a hook on the rear?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/76045_802.htm

its just cuz hitches are pretty expensive here and i wouldnt really be doing any towing, i just need a recovery point in case i get stuck

Last edited by bingolli; 11-16-2008 at 09:48 PM..
bingolli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.