recovery gear help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > recovery gear help

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
bingolli
1993 XJ Cherokee 

recovery gear help

so i just realized that i need some recovery gear! i'm looking into some tow hooks for up front and a hitch for the back but i'm not exactly sure what to look for in terms of load rating, towing capacity, etc... if someone could explain what i need to look for it would be great. i also want to get a snatch strap, would a 20,000 lb one be enough? any and all help is appreciated!

Unread 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
funinmud
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you get a 2" receiver in the rear, and tow hooks using the proper brackets up front, you should be good to go. 20,000 lbs should be a good strap but I like to go as best I can with my funds, so I'd get the 30,000 or more one. But that's just me. Make sure you get a strap without hooks on it, and use d-rings, or the like for connections.

98 XJ on 32's and 2-3" lift, locked, armored, and ready to rock.
funinmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

For the tow hooks upfront I would believe that most people on here are going to recommend C4x4 Tow Hooks and for a rear 2" receiver I'd go with a class III. I have a 1 1/4" receiver on mine but thats what it came with I plan on building a custom bumper soon. I also have the C4x4 tow hooks waiting to be installed.
nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
bingolli
1993 XJ Cherokee 

could i use these tow hook mounting brackets to mount a hook on the rear?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/76045_802.htm

its just cuz hitches are pretty expensive here and i wouldnt really be doing any towing, i just need a recovery point in case i get stuck

Last edited by bingolli; 11-16-2008 at 08:48 PM..
bingolli is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.