Received 746 injectors instead of 703 - issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Received 746 injectors instead of 703 - issues?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Agility
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Received 746 injectors instead of 703 - issues?

I ordered a set of injectors for my 97 4.0 XJ but the injectors they sent me are Bosch 746 injectors and not a set of 703 injectors as I expected. I'm finding mixed results in my searches. Some people say the flow rate is too low but some people have had pretty good success using the 746.

I also read that in order to take advantage of the 746 I could install a high pressure fuel regulator.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

Agility is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I would not recommend them. The Bosch 0-280-155-746 injectors meet the minimum CC/MIN to hit an 80% injector duty cycle for the engine, but do not account for momentary pressure loss in the fuel system. They could be used, but horsepower could potentially suffer.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Agility
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If one were to replace the fuel pressure regulator would these injectors fare better? Just trying to get my research straight. I think I read that the optimal (read: superior to just swapping 703 injectors) solution would be a higher pressure regulator with these 746 injectors.

Thanks, Lime, I'm going to contact the vendor and get them replaced.
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmaine97 View Post
If one were to replace the fuel pressure regulator would these injectors fare better? Just trying to get my research straight. I think I read that the optimal (read: superior to just swapping 703 injectors) solution would be a higher pressure regulator with these 746 injectors.

Thanks, Lime, I'm going to contact the vendor and get them replaced.
The fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump and can not be replaced. To achieve a high pressure it would require getting a different fuel pump and external regulator.
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
demonoid369
1997 XJ Cherokee 

False, it is quite common for the fuel pressure regulator to be swapped to a adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Agility
1997 XJ Cherokee 

So, is it true that the 746 injectors with an upgraded fuel pressure regulator will run as well or better than 703's in an otherwise stock 4.0? I hate to leave a question unanswered for future searches.

My 746's are in the mail and 703's are coming, I'm just wondering if what I read online is true.
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
False, it is quite common for the fuel pressure regulator to be swapped to a adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Sorry about, seems the regulator on my Dakota pump is locked somehow. The one on my XJ pump is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmaine97 View Post
So, is it true that the 746 injectors with an upgraded fuel pressure regulator will run as well or better than 703's in an otherwise stock 4.0? I hate to leave a question unanswered for future searches.

My 746's are in the mail and 703's are coming, I'm just wondering if what I read online is true.
Well, yeah, if the fuel pressure is raised the injectors would push more CC/MIN. It might take a bit of experimenting though to get it just right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.