Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rebuild Vs. New Engine

13K views 106 replies 28 participants last post by  sAe23 
#1 ·
I'm going to putting another engine in my Jeep soon. I'm between buying a new one from Napa or some other site, or buying a junker one and having it machined and rebuild it myself.

The engine at Napa is 1,700.

The rebuild kit I found here is 450.00.
http://www.promarengine.com/enginek...-93 4.0L 242CID L6 Master Rebuild Kit &notes=

Can someone who's done either before tell me what route you took and what problems you ran into? How much it costs to have it machined?

Anyone from Tampa or around here, could you recommend me a shop?

Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

#42 ·
Great company! I bought my upgraded 0331 head from them.

Thanks for the help, I'm hoping it's still for sale. The prices locally for used engines are insane!
Definitely keep an eye on Craigslist. If you have an Android phone, get the Craigslist Notifier. All the local junk yards wanted $1,000 for a used engine. After 6 months or so of my Heep sitting, I hit up Craigslist and found a 4.0/AW4/NP242 combo out of a 99 with 167,000 miles. The engine included all the accessories and sensors as well along with 90% of the wiring harness and the computer. $500 got it all. Dad and I just finished the install last night. He took it to get it inspected for me while I was at work today. I'm getting ready to head to his house to pick it up.

Good luck with your search!

#3 ·
Get a few estimates before deciding.

A rebuild or purchasing a reman. is a big ticket item..............

Nice to go local for support if there is an issue. That is, if the numbers are fair.

#4 ·
Check out Jon Kelley's website--he has a really good book on building/rebuilding the 4.0.

Michael

#5 ·
Rebuilding will be more expensive once you add the price of machine work, the core engine, and the parts to build it. But you will get a better product, IMO. Commerical remans like Jasper and whatever NAPA sells are OK and generally fine for extending the life of an old beat-up car, but they're pretty basic run-em-through fast builds, not precision work.

#9 ·
Cornbrizzle- Is this the kit that I would talk to him about?
http://www.titanengines.com/index.p...cts_id=26462&zenid=ih63is45cl7jgur5inhsfpvq67

Tjwalker- I've been looking around, but have yet to call a machine shop. Been busy.

mecompco- Do you have a link to his site? Thanks in advance!

440_Mangnum- That's why I'm considering rebuilding a JY one. I'm planning on keeping this Jeep for quite a while.

AndrewMacc- Give me the money,money,money, and I will lol.

87kee- Exactly.

BriansCJ- I'm probably going to buy a jy engine, have it machined, order the kit, and build it. As long as it gets machined, it should be as good as if I machined my block, right?

#11 ·
#15 ·
I have been thinking about this as well. Mine runs like a champ, but is getting up there in miles. I love this heep and plan on keeping mine too.

Every time I see a 4.0L up for sale I think about jumping on it, but the late model ones here are silly expensive for a decent rebuild candidate.

If it were me... don't get a Napa reman, they are generally a pretty quick-cheap-and-nasty rebuild with M.O.R. quality parts. You are better off to get it done locally so you can control the parts quality and brands etc.

Get a used engine from a reputable JY, some will warranty their stuff for 30 days or so. This way when you do the tear down and get it magnafluxed etc if it is toast, they will give you a replacement. I know many here do that (60-90 days).

I am lucky to have a mechanic that will likely do this all at home for me and on the cheap...plus I get all my bits at his cost! So want to do this...but I think the Expo trailer is coming first!!
:thumbsup:

#16 ·
cornbrizzle, that's quite a trip for me, as I don't want to take the risk of my engine blowing up somewhere in between. Plus that'd be quite a bit of gas...But maybe I will order the kit from him though.

I want to keep it stock, because I've read that strokers don't last as long. Maybe in the future I'll build one, but not at this time.

I'm going to give LKQ a call today to see what their policy is on used motors.

#17 ·
i just ordered a reman from marshall engines outa nebraska.. it was $1595 shipped, including the $395 core charge.. it came with a 3yr 100,000 mile warranty.. ive heard good things about them and i figured with as much driving as i do if any thing tears up on it ,it will do it befor the warranty is up.. but hopefully nothin will tear up (fingers crossed)... good luck

#21 ·
Seems like a reasonable cost for that kind of warranty.

Might have to look into their company.

#23 ·
My buddy works at AutoZone.
District mgr gut for years and is a Ford nut. He rebuilds his own motors and is areal gear head

He told me that AZ has 5 companies they use. Their remans run $1800 Plus a core.
I can't recall which company he recommended at this point but when teh day comes I'd do it just because AZ is close to my house for the shipping. Also if it fails I just pull it and throw it through the front window.

On the other hand my buddy offered a rebuild with warranty for $1600. No core. He's in Detroit though.
He built my 460 in my Fairlane. I may even go this route since he offered a 100K 3 yr warranty

#24 ·
its door to door shipping.. im gettin it shipped straight to the shop thats puttin it in for me.. i would put it in myself but im livin in missouri right now and all my big tools are in alabama.. i found a place that will do it for 550 bucks which aint bad but still blows cause i could do it for free back home

#25 ·
I tried searching for some info, but couldn't find it. Which years of 4.0's will fit into my Jeep? 92-96? Will I need to pull the computer from the donor too? I'll be getting an engine within the nest week. Just waiting on the tax return.

I'll be doing a write up once I start tearing apart the motor and rebuilding it.

#37 ·
91-95 will be a replacement. Other years will fit, or bolt in. The problem is the changes in the heads from different years. The 91-95 had an extra temp sensor in the head. It is on the driver side of the head. The 96 to 99 are basically the same head, except they don't have this port or hole for the temp sensor. So, you could use a short block from any year. Or at least up to 01, probably 02. I did use an '03 block and there was a porblem with the engine mount bosses.
Tom

#30 ·
91 to 99 will bolt right up, you wont have to change nothin.. 2000 and up will too i believe but ive heard there was somthin wrong with the block castings in 2000.. i dunno that forsure tho cause ive never owned one, thats just what ive read somwhere.

#31 ·
Block is okay on the 00-01, it is the 0331 cylinder head that has a problem and that existed only on the 00-01 XJ.

A known casting defect between cylinders 3-4. This defect makes this head more prone to cracking, especially upon an engine overheat.

#32 ·
Cool. Let me just clarify. The alternator, a/c pump, power steering pump, and accessories will bolt onto any 91 or newer block without any modifications and will mount into my Jeep? And my 93 computer, intake and headers will fit as well?

Just trying not to make a 200 dollar mistake. Don't mean to be a bother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.