Rebuild Vs. New Engine - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rebuild Vs. New Engine

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 07-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #61
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Took the valve cover and oil pan off. The head looks a lot better than mine, as far as sludge goes. What's the best way to clean out the oil pan? I'm going to put in a new oil pump, check the bearings and replace the rear main seal before I put it all back together.

forumrunner_20110704_161816.jpg   forumrunner_20110704_161838.jpg   forumrunner_20110704_161910.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #62
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

When I take the head on my original motor to a machine shop, what should I have them do?
Unread 07-11-2011, 06:00 AM   #63
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMasterCHS View Post
When I take the head on my original motor to a machine shop, what should I have them do?
I would have them check it for straightness, have it magnifluxed or zyglo for cracks. If not cracked. Then decked (milled down) if not straight. Then I'd have the valves and valve seats reground. A 3 or 5 angle valve job. I'd have them check for vavle guide wear. Have it corrected by sleeves, not by knurling the valves. You might need new valves at that point. New valve stem seals. I'd probably be expecting $150 to $200 worth of work.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #64
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1

I would have them check it for straightness, have it magnifluxed or zyglo for cracks. If not cracked. Then decked (milled down) if not straight. Then I'd have the valves and valve seats reground. A 3 or 5 angle valve job. I'd have them check for vavle guide wear. Have it corrected by sleeves, not by knurling the valves. You might need new valves at that point. New valve stem seals. I'd probably be expecting $150 to $200 worth of work.
Tom
Thanks for the info!
Unread 07-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #65
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm, now that I think of it, how about the block I just got that's going into it?
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:54 AM   #66
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMasterCHS View Post
Hmm, now that I think of it, how about the block I just got that's going into it?
As for the block, its suppose to have 83K on it. For a 4.0L, thats just getting settled in. When you have the head off, I'd check for straightness of the top surface. Other than that, I'd probably get a new water pump. I'd look into a Robert Shaw or Mr. Gasket Hi-Flow Thermostat. I'd get the stock temp one. I'd probably check the timing chain, for any streatch. It should be good, if it has only 83K on it. It really depends on what was replaced on the rebuild. If done right, then you should have to replace much if anything.
Tom
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #67
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Just updating the build, I have all the Fel-Pro gaskets for the motor, just waiting on the oil pump which should be here tomorrow.

Should I get new valve springs too? Looking to have all this done by the end of October!
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:23 AM   #68
75SV1

How many miles were on those springs? Did a shop do the heads? If a shop did, then I'd ask them. If they say they are OK, then it comes down to money and what a new set of springs would cost.
Tom
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #69
4X4XJJeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This has been a good read! Keep up the good work and lots of pics with updates! Thanks!
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #70
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Either do a real rebuild, or bolt in the used motor, engine flush it, and run it. It's insane to half *** have the head worked on but not have the short block completely rebuilt.

And 150-200 for the head work is WAY off. more like 100 to disassemble, clean and reassemble, 100+ for valve job, 150 for valve guide sleeves and machining, plus parts.

Clean it, drop it in, run it.
Or spend cash and rebuild the whole long block top to bottom, and spend at least what a reman long block would have cost ready to go.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #71
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider
Either do a real rebuild, or bolt in the used motor, engine flush it, and run it. It's insane to half *** have the head worked on but not have the short block completely rebuilt.

And 150-200 for the head work is WAY off. more like 100 to disassemble, clean and reassemble, 100+ for valve job, 150 for valve guide sleeves and machining, plus parts.

Clean it, drop it in, run it.
Or spend cash and rebuild the whole long block top to bottom, and spend at least what a reman long block would have cost ready to go.
The engine I bought is a 88. The head won't work with my 93 so that's why I'm rebuilding the head I have currently in my jeep..

I don't have bottomless pockets, I earn an honest dollar busting my ***.
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #72
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1
How many miles were on those springs? Did a shop do the heads? If a shop did, then I'd ask them. If they say they are OK, then it comes down to money and what a new set of springs would cost.
Tom
Hey Tom, I have 227k on my original head. I've yet to take it off and take it to the shop because I can't be without my jeep for too long. I'll look into the cost and see what the shop says when I bring the head in.

Just trying to be prepared for the big day.
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #73
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4XJJeep
This has been a good read! Keep up the good work and lots of pics with updates! Thanks!
Thanks for the encouragement! I definitely will be uploading new pics as I progress.

Just got my oil pump today, finally.
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #74
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Here it is!
forumrunner_20110913_222356.jpg  
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #75
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Finally preparing the 88' block to drop in. I went ahead and purchased a subscription to alldata, but for the year of my Cherokee.

Does anyone know the size of the freeze plugs for the 88 block? Called up Napa and they wanted to know a size before giving me some. I've read that brass plugs are the best.

I'll be updating the thread soon with pics!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.