Rear wiper motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear wiper motor

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 07-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
JaMike

With the rear wiper button switched on I can hear the wiper motor trigger but the wiper doesn't move. Bought a refurbished motor and installed it with the same results. Any ideas why the wiper arm isn't rotating with either motor? 1998 Classic

JaMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

Did you check the fuse? did you check for power at the connector at motor with the switch on? check the ground at motor?(black wire) the switch is 2 position switch, position 1 is wiper on, position 2 turns on washer pump and wiper motor to clean rear window. maybe that helps.

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
JaMike

Are you wanting me to use a volt meter to check if the power is getting to the motor? I haven't checked these items you have suggested because I am hearing the motor make a noise with the switch in the on position, but I will give it a look see. Thanks for the suggestions.
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMike
Are you wanting me to use a volt meter to check if the power is getting to the motor? I haven't checked these items you have suggested because I am hearing the motor make a noise with the switch in the on position, but I will give it a look see. Thanks for the suggestions.
U can use a volt meter or a light tester. What kind of noise is the motor making?? Can u remove the motor from rear tail gate and le it hang by wire and try to see if it turns then to check if maybe it is binding on the tail gate??

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
JaMike

Haven't had a chance to check anything but wanted to let you know that it makes a single clicking noise about every 10 seconds and yes I tried it when it wasn't bolted in place which gave me the same results. Thanks again. Going to try and get to those checks today.
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMike
Haven't had a chance to check anything but wanted to let you know that it makes a single clicking noise about every 10 seconds and yes I tried it when it wasn't bolted in place which gave me the same results. Thanks again. Going to try and get to those checks today.
Clicking noise from the motor assembly? There is actually 2 power feeds to the motor assembly so there is 2 fuses in junction block but I don't have my manual in front of me right now to see which ones there is. I wonder if you are missing one of those or possibly got a bad motor?? Do you have a power supply or a battery you could connect it to with some jumper wires? I would def get a volt meter back there and check for 12 volts and also use the ohm side to check the ground and make sure it's not bad or corroded(higher ohm reading)

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
Unread 07-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
JaMike

I checked the wire harness the motor connect to and it read 12.6 volts. I need to try and see if the ground ohms out a zero next. The 10 second noise actually occurs every 3 seconds inside the plastic "relay" box attached to the wiper motor. If the ground ohms out at 0 I'll have to search for that second fuse you're speaking of. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.