Rear wiper doesn't press against glass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear wiper doesn't press against glass

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Powellae

Rear wiper doesn't press against glass

I cleared some ice off the rear wiper on my '99 Cherokee and all of a sudden it doesn't press on the glass. The washer works and the wiper blade moves, but suddenly it doesn't press on the glass - so it won't clean anything.

When I was cleaning the ice off I thought I saw something fall off the wiper, but I couldn't find anything on the ground other than ice fragments.

I've tried lubing the pivot points, but the darn wiper just won't press against the glass. A search of this forum didn't reveal any similar reports.

Any ideas or experience with this problem? Thanks...

Powellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Islandroaddie96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Is the arm spring still good? Is it still there? Unless the arm is actually bent, the only thing it can really be is the spring.

GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #74
Islandroaddie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Happened on my ZJ, the spring turned out to be broken/worn out. It was rusted and not pulling anymore. mine actually worked by lubing it up but I bet its easily replaceable

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
LeftOfCenterXJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Before replacing it try this:

Remove wiper arm assembly from motor shaft. Work the joint/hinge back and forth and lubricate it with some wd40.

Lots of times dirt and grime can get built up in the joint and cause too much resistance for the spring to pull the blade tight against the glass. In your case you may have some snow or ice built up in there. This is a fairly common problem on this type of design of rear wiper blade. I have had to clean mine out a couple of times.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
It makes your trolling more credible to be grammatically correct. Lets everyone know you're a legitimate troll, not just one of those poser trolls.
LeftOfCenterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftOfCenterXJ View Post

Remove wiper arm assembly from motor shaft. Work the joint/hinge back and forth and lubricate it with some wd40.

Lots of times dirt and grime can get built up in the joint and cause too much resistance for the spring to pull the blade tight against the glass. In your case you may have some snow or ice built up in there. This is a fairly common problem on this type of design of rear wiper blade. I have had to clean mine out a couple of times.

Good luck
X2

You probably got some grit stuck in the pivot which is preventing the arm from fully pivoting.
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
ccavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftOfCenterXJ View Post

Good luck
X3. I'm having the same issue right now. The hinge is just bound up a bit.
ccavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Powellae

Thanks...this gives me something to go after. Good chance it's some combo of grit and ice.
Powellae is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.