rear windshield washer does not spray - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rear windshield washer does not spray

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
qwain

rear windshield washer does not spray

I've a '98 Cherokee.

On the rear windshield I cannot get the fluid to spray. Any suggestion?
What is the wording you use to designate the fluid pump for the rear windshield (looking for it in Autozone without success...)

qwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
polizi212

windshield washer pump. Takes the same one for front as the rear and both are on the washer fluid reservoir. advance lists it as part number 174347 ACI Windshield Washer Pump list for 19.99 each.
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It is NOT the same pump for the front and rear wipers.

The two pumps are very close physically - same size, same plastic housing to attach to the reservoir, but have different electrical connectors. If you want to just remove and replace plug and play you will likely need to visit the Stealership.

The generic pump from the auto store(s) in my town had you LEAVE the seized OEM pump in place, then graft a couple of hoses to it and daisy chain the new pump to the old as the OEM pump has a 3/4" or so input press fit into the reservoir. You also would need to splice the wiring for power. This felt awfully ghetto and prone to failure. (says the guy with rubberized undercoating on his quarterpanels etc.)

I didn't like that idea since the space is tight up in the fender, I don't run fender liners which lets all sorts of roadwash up there, and I didn't wasnt to just zip tie a pump up there and hope it stayed. So I paid around 75 bucks for a MOPAR pump.

I checked and polizi212 is quoting an OEM style pump, (stupid Canada and our limited, yet high priced selection) I spent a week returning generic pumps, GRAND cherokee pumps, and finally buying a dealership pump for my '00 XJ.

HOWEVER: Before you replace any pump with any other pump, pull the upper pump from the reservoir (don't let the grommet fall into the reservoir or you will be removing the whole thing - ask me, I know) and test it with a couple small pieces of wire and your battery. If the pump whirrs it's fine, mine just did nothing. It is possibly the switch is busted in the dash. My switch is kind of broken - if you toggle it to wash it will spray and do the three sweep pass, but left on it doesn't have a 'delay' sweep anymore.

Last edited by rugsucka; 02-28-2011 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: did some google work
rugsucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
hubs97xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Test the pump and switch first (easy enough to do at the reservoir).

Go to autozone's website, punch in your vehicle info, and search for windshield washer pump, windshield washer, washer pump, or even just windshield, and it will be listed. Taap 8-695.
hubs97xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

okay, just what? this shouldnt be that difficult.

go to autozone, ask for a winshield washer motor, they will give you one, it comes with a wire adapter, so it CAN be used for front or rear.
just did this like 3 months ago
Shanker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
It is NOT the same pump for the front and rear wipers.

The two pumps are very close physically - same size, same plastic housing to attach to the reservoir, but have different electrical connectors. If you want to just remove and replace plug and play you will likely need to visit the Stealership.

The generic pump from the auto store(s) in my town had you LEAVE the seized OEM pump in place, then graft a couple of hoses to it and daisy chain the new pump to the old as the OEM pump has a 3/4" or so input press fit into the reservoir. You also would need to splice the wiring for power. This felt awfully ghetto and prone to failure. (says the guy with rubberized undercoating on his quarterpanels etc.)

I didn't like that idea since the space is tight up in the fender, I don't run fender liners which lets all sorts of roadwash up there, and I didn't wasnt to just zip tie a pump up there and hope it stayed. So I paid around 75 bucks for a MOPAR pump.

I checked and polizi212 is quoting an OEM style pump, (stupid Canada and our limited, yet high priced selection) I spent a week returning generic pumps, GRAND cherokee pumps, and finally buying a dealership pump for my '00 XJ.

HOWEVER: Before you replace any pump with any other pump, pull the upper pump from the reservoir (don't let the grommet fall into the reservoir or you will be removing the whole thing - ask me, I know) and test it with a couple small pieces of wire and your battery. If the pump whirrs it's fine, mine just did nothing. It is possibly the switch is busted in the dash. My switch is kind of broken - if you toggle it to wash it will spray and do the three sweep pass, but left on it doesn't have a 'delay' sweep anymore.
^ what WAS all this? haha
Shanker67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.