rear window & liftgate covered in sticky film - oil or gas leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rear window & liftgate covered in sticky film - oil or gas leak?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 07-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
auswee
2001 XJ Cherokee 

rear window & liftgate covered in sticky film - oil or gas leak?

Howdy all,

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed that my back window was getting covered in these little droplets of what I thought was water or something, but after smearing them around with the rear wiper, I noticed that the droplets are oily in nature. They are transparent or opaque, but I have no idea what is causing them. After realizing what was happening I noticed that the entire rear liftgate is covered too.

The front windshield, the sides, and the roof of the XJ are all clean and residue-free, so I'm really confused as to what could be causing this and am concerned that it could be something I need to take care of. I don't notice any smoke coming from the tailpipe, but my concern is that maybe there is some kind of fluid that's coming out when I run it down the highway, like oil or gas or something, and it's spraying the droplets on the rear end.

I am not noticing any spots under the truck when I park it which is even more confusing.

Anybody have any ideas? I'd at least like to see if I can tackle it before I take it to the shop.

Many thanks in advance!

auswee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
My1989Jeep
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Check your oil level and your tranny level. This will tell you if it's one of those leaking. Next check the level in both differentials. Maybe it leaks from the breather hose if it got disconnected. Then last check the transfer case level to see if you have a crack in it or not. That's all I can think of for now.
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

most likely an oil leak. mine has a perpetual film on the lift gate as well

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
kbad
1996 XJ Cherokee 

check all tranny lines.....
kbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
auswee
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It turns out that the transfer case was leaking. I took it to Bob Allen Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep in Frankfort KY and the good folks there had me re-sealed and cleaned up in a few hours, and for only 1 hour of labor!
auswee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
film , liftgate , oil , rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.