Rear tire rub...thoughts?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear tire rub...thoughts??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
98XJinME
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rear tire rub...thoughts??

I just replaced the shocks on my 98 Sport, and I now have a new issue. Quite frequently, it seems that the outer edge of my rear tires rub the flares. It does not seem to be that big a deal, other than the melted plastic, but I don't like the noise. I run 15x7 Cragar 342s, and 235/75 tires. Any suggestions from the wisdom of the XJ community, as always, are much appreciated

Rob

Unread 10-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
swells
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same tire size and wheel size mine have never rubbed, are your bump stops working correctly
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Jon00XJ

Does your rear leaf springs sag? Sounds to me like your leaf springs are shot and when you hit a bump its causing your tire to rub.
Jon00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
98XJinME
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Leaf springs are solid; bump stops appear to be crumbling. I'll have to pick up a pair tomorrow and put them in. Hopefully, that will take care of the issue.
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Lupitaboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Measure your rear from center of rim to bottom edge of flare. If it measures less than 17 inches, your "solid" leaf springs are flat. Replacing bumpstops will accomplish nothing toward fixing your issue.
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
Jon00XJ

With a good set of leaf springs I don't see your tire rubbing that much with just bad bump stops. Especially on the road. Unless you hit something like a speed bump at a fairly fast speed I doubt your bump stops touch on a everyday basis. Unless of course your springs are bad. Are they U shaped or flat? If are not holding an arch then they probably allowed your bump stops to hit more freq than usual causing them to go bad. In that case replacing the bump stops wouldnt be any good because they will eventually just wear out again.

I my jeep is only 2 years newer than yours and I have 165k on my factory bumps and they look fine. My point is your problem isnt just with the bump stops
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
maddzz
1989 MJ Comanche 

Did this problem just start after replacing the shocks? Did you put different rims on when you did the shocks?
maddzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Jon00XJ

I think what maddzz is getting at is backspacing of the rims. I had the same rims they are the correct spacing.
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
rc76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Your rear would have to be compressed a lot for the bump stops to come into play. Nor do I believe you would traveling fast enough to melt a flare with rear compressed enough to have the bump stops come in to play... unless of course you are trying to climb a obstacle and are using the skinny pedal.

As others have noted...I don't think ig it your bumpstops (although I wouldn't be surprised if they needed replacing also)... but rather weak/flat springs. Most XJs with stock leafs have such issues.

Flat springs with increased tire size means the rubbing and melting flare. Perhaps your shocks were rated for a higher weight... which may have give just enough help to your spring to prevent the now rubbing.
98 Cherokee Sport- 4.5", AA SYE and TW Shaft, 33" Cooper Discoverer STTs, XCr8000, Jcroffroad Stage 2 Winch Bumper , 60" Hi-lift, Cobra Ultra III, Gragar Soft 8s, Detour Tail Bone, jcr Offroad Stage 2 Sliders, RockCrusher Diff Covers Front, Lockright in the front, Aussie in the Rear (Ford 8.8) with 488s... More $$$ for Bank Account (On Back Order...)

99 Cherokee Sport- Stock and Staying that Way (Wife's DD)

Christian Jeep Group Member #160
rc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Jon00XJ

rc76 has a good point with the shocks. Which ones did you switch too? Or was they factory replacments?
Unread 10-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
98XJinME
1998 XJ Cherokee 

They are Monroe shocks, better than OEM. I have 16.25" from the center of my hub to my flare's lower center, sooooo, it looks like I am in the market for some reasonably priced leaf springs. Any suggestions for a good vendor (other than Quadratec--too pricey!!)? Thanks.
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
98XJinME
1998 XJ Cherokee 

OK. Installed Quadratec HD leaf spring packs and Skyjacker Nitros. All better. For now Thanks for the feedback. As always, it is appreciated.
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mine was sagging down to 16" in the rear before I added the HD leafs from quadratec, and I also had 235 tires but they didn't rub. How much lift did you get from the HD leafs?
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
98XJinME
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Between the super-stiff HD leaf packs and the super-stiff Nitros, I am at 18.25" from hub-center to flare bottom edge. I'd say I gained 2 inches from where I was. What a difference in the ride. The springs are great, but the Skyjacker shocks are amazing...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.