Rear Suspension... Bottoms out hard on minor bumps. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear Suspension... Bottoms out hard on minor bumps.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
slimpartywagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Rear Suspension... Bottoms out hard on minor bumps.

I was driving around on some back city roads (paved) that had a few minor pot holes (minor being less than 2 inches deep and at least 2 tire lengths long), and every time i hit them (doing less than 20 mph) I heard a loud thunk noise and felt the awful heart sinking feeling you get in your stomache when you bottom out your suspension... As I hit several of these, I noticed that my shocks didn't feel quite normal... I am wondering what would cause the suspension to bottom out on such mild road conditions. I should also mention I have an 89 Cherokee Limited that is bone stock (as far as I can tell... Have reason to suspect it might have different axles... no vacuum disco on front, and rear seams to be a LSD.)

slimpartywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
shawnzoman
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Bad shocks wouldn't allow your suspension to compelely bottom out I don't think. You should be able to ride with no shocks and hit pot holes that size and not bottom out. Stock leaf springs on the XJ I think are pretty crappy. I just replaced mine and a few leafs had cracks in them. One side sagged 2 inches lower than the other. Needless to say they were shot. What size tires you running?
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
slimpartywagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Lt235/75r15, and no lift, and I agree that bad shocks shouldn't be an issue... I have ran without shocks b4 on an old Willies Wagon without bottoming out... and those springs were even weaker than the XJ.... I am going to get under the jeep as soon as it warms up and look at the springs, and the bump stops... I am kind of leaning toward bad bump stops... the rear suspension didn't feel like it moved more than an inch or two... so something most likely has to be out of place
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
shawnzoman
1994 XJ Cherokee 

well i ain't to sure what it could be unless it was just worn out leafs
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
slimpartywagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

what do i look for to tell if my springs are shot?
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
shawnzoman
1994 XJ Cherokee 

My driver side one, the eyes were actually sitting below the spring perch lol inverted i guess. That one had the cracks, you could see the crack in it when I took it off right where it sits on the perch. You could take the u bolts off, drop the axle just enough too look at the pack. That should tell you something.
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
slimpartywagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

ok sounds good, thanks for your help man... I will update tomorrow when I get it into my garage.
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
shawnzoman
1994 XJ Cherokee 

no problem, best of luck, hope you figure it out
Unread 02-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
RedZeppelinXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i had the same problem....and my *** end was sitting real low....turns out i had 2 busted leafs in one side and one busted in the other side....a quick XJ/XJ bastard fixed that, i went from 4 leafs per side (some of which were busted) to 7 non-cracked leafs per side and it rides way better.....i was gonna get some new OEM packs but i did the bastards for about 1/4 the price.....

busted leafs and ****ty shocks is where i would look
'91 XJ Briarwood - The Spruce Moose (Parting Out)
'79 J10 - Spartacus (Parting Out)
RedZeppelinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
slimpartywagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I am doubting busted leaves..the jeep still sits decent. I am leaning toward bump stops, worn bushings, and week springs... I will tell you guys know in the morning what i find.
Unread 02-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
dsfdf19
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Take a look at your rear shackles they are proly bottoming out on the box that they are bolted in. There isnt alot of room for travel for them in there anyway (in good shape) with you springs wore I would say that the inch or two of UP travel would be about right.

On another note I have a heavily moded set up with rusty's shocks. A copy of Eric's shackle relocater setup. Which I have alittle to soft. With anyone in the back seat after 2 or 3 bridge crossings (normal pavement) Mine will bottom out due to the rebound on the shock being slow. The shocks dont give the springs time to rebound and compresses again, which drives the springs down agian and bottoms out. Its fine when there is no one in the back seat.

Hope this help
15x10 Rockcrawler Wheels

The Jeep Build W/lots of Pic's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/my-xj-build-94-2-5-manual-545845/
dsfdf19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
slimpartywagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I found my problem... my bump stops had huge blocks of ice on them.
Unread 02-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
dsfdf19
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimpartywagon View Post
I found my problem... my bump stops had huge blocks of ice on them.

Thats funny right there... cool man glade it was simple
15x10 Rockcrawler Wheels

The Jeep Build W/lots of Pic's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545845
dsfdf19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
slimpartywagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

yea I figured it was simple, since I drive that same stretch of road 2 times per day, and all of a sudden last friday night it started the clunking... and I could only feel the suspension moving a minimal amount b4 it came to a thunking halt. that is why i was leaning towards my bump stops...

Last Thursday we had warmer temps than normal, and we had a bad snow fall, I went snow drift bashing over at my friends house, then on Friday I had to push through a drift at work... then the temps dropped and every thing froze up...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.