Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

rear seat, what's the point?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Blue XJ 
#1 · (Edited)
rear seat, what's the point? (Updated)

Ok, so for some reason I felt really motivated today and did a nearly complete overhaul on fluids today (cleaned the radiator, front & rear differentials, transfer case, oil & filter, and finally the transmission), but then I got tired of working under my xj. But that's all besides the point of this post.

So I never really use by backseat for anything, it's been folded down for the past year or so for that extra amount of cargo space. My friends never ride in it because, as we all know, it's not exactly the most comfortable place to be unless you have no legs. So since I was so motivated today, I figured I would start doing something else about this piece of useless equipment. First off, removed the rear seat completely, definitely freed up some space, but then there was the unevenness (is that a word) from the actual cargo area to the area where the seat used to be. So it was time to build something. Here's a link to a few pics of what I've done so far...

Rear seat, where'd it go?

Unfortunately, my motivation for the day was completely gone at about this point, so I called it a day. Still need to put a hatch into the passenger side, cover it with carpet to match the rest of the interior, then secure it all to the jeep itself, so nothing goes flying. :thumbsup:

See less See more
#4 ·
I've had that idea for a while, but it is on the back burner until my son is out of the back seat. One of my plans was to turn one well into a cooler. Seal off the bottom, insert a drain plug, insulate, and voila! Fill with ice and goods, and when you are done, just pop the plug! Something to consider.

#5 ·
Yeah, also now I will be able to recline the front seats as needed. When the rear seats were down it prevented the recline to be able to go to full capacity.

And ooo...that is a GREAT idea, I like you're thinking.

#6 ·
nice job..my backseat is folded down right now too...i wouldn't take mine out tho..i love watching ppl try to climb into the back seat of my 2dr...i tilt the seat forward but i don't move it along the rails.. :laugh: ..you should see ppl try to manuever getting in and out..then once they're in i slide the seat forward on the rails and i say "ohhhhhh yeah...i forgot it did that..you'd have had an easier time getting in/out if you'd just moved the seat forward"...

#8 ·
Sounds like a good Idea but I actualy need all the passenger space I can get. I'm the only one with a car outta my friends on campus so I always drive. I usually have 5-8 people in my XJ. For eight, we put 2 up front, 4 on the pass bench, and then 2 guys in the cargo area with my sub/amp. I really bottom out with that and hear the tires rubbing on the fender wells with any suspension movement... I don't thing the tires are hitting the top of the inside of the well b/c I have rims that push the wheels out... I think.?

Sounds like a good Idea. PICS. But I am happy I don't have to fit back there anytime as I don't think there is enough front seat room either for my 6'3" 240lb self...

#9 ·
Ok, I updated my cardomain webpage with my nearly finished rear seat storage project, click the link below to check it out. (Sorry I can't post pics here yet).

Updated Rear Seat Storage Area

#10 ·
Looks good.

I did something similar as well, but I extended the "cargo box" all the way to the rear hatch. The front ahas the two deep bins from where the seat used to be, the rear has two slide out drawers and the middle has a couple flip up lids. I think overall its 6" tall except for the backseat area. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
i have always though about doing that or something similar, but there are times when the front bucket seats with the center console, well arent just comfortable enough for doing certain things with my lady friends you know? so i need the back seat.

i lied, my backseat never sees any use of that kind. but every so often i need to carry people around so it must stay

#15 ·
That's a nice box you got there IntrepidXJ, it's looks quite a lot more structurally sound then mine. My supports didn't quite work out as I wanted so I'll probably change things a little bit in that regard. For some reason the driver's side isn't as deep as the passenger side in regards to the floor, or maybe I just can't measure properly.

Now I'm thinking I should add some shag carpet for the whole area, some track lighting, curtains, etc. What do ya think? :thumbsup:

#17 ·
ktmracer419 said:
i have always though about doing that or something similar, but there are times when the front bucket seats with the center console, well arent just comfortable enough for doing certain things with my lady friends you know? so i need the back seat.

i lied, my backseat never sees any use of that kind. but every so often i need to carry people around so it must stay
But if you fold the back seat down, you have like almost 6' x 3' of flat area. Use a few blankets and well....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.