Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

rear main seal

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Daren 
#1 ·
On a 89 cherokee 4.0 rear main seal, I have been told that you have to pull the transmission because it has a one piece seal? I have also been told that all you have to do is drop the oil pan and it can be done that way. Has any one replaced theirs and if so, which is the correct way :confused:

#2 ·
Disconnect the front axle minus the UCA's and drop it as far as it will go. Take off the starter and drop the pan. The seal is 2 pieces and once you get to it is easy to change. If yours hasn't been done yet, plan on using a torch to loosen the pan. Mine took me about 3 hours to get the pan off.

Hope that helps

Geoff

#3 ·
The seal on the 258 4.2L is 2-piece. Is it true that the 4.0 is one-piece? I can't picture how the hell it would work :confused: Doesn't make sense in my head right now, LOL. If it is indeed a 2-piece, as I suspect, you don't need to drop the tranny.

Anyone? 1 or 2-piece? Unless they changed something on me, thought it was 2-piece.

#4 ·
No, they haven't change at all, It's a 2 pc. place Jeep on jackstands, Liv tear for differential with a hydraulic jack, remove the two bolts on your lower shocks on both sides, disconnect from sway bars, remove your two front tires, lower your front differential down, first things first disconnect your negative battery cable. disconnect the starter. Drop the oil pan onto the axle and remove the oil pump, drop the oil pump into the oil pan, turned the oil pan to therear towards the passenger side tilted on an angle and pull out. it's a little tricky but it goes in easier it then it comes out. you will have to remove the rear main bearing cap pull out the old seal clean and replace the seal, ****** take a brass punch and a hammer and tap out the other half of the seal from around the crankshaft tell there is just enough seal protruding from the other end, grabbed the other and with needle nose pliers, now replace everything in the order that it was taken out. this should save you about $350 to $450 depending wheere you live. MONEY for other goodies :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.