Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rear main seal

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Jason, aka: Jeepin.com 
#1 ·
how many other guys 4.0Ls have a small rear main seal leak, or am i just the only one?
98 xj classic

#3 ·
You might want to check the back of the valve cover, sometimes it will drip down the back of the engine an look like it the rear main seal.

#5 ·
Rear Main seal

I've had my 91 XJ Sport with HO 4.0 for 3 years. now. I have done the Valve Cover, Oil Pan, and Rear seal thing, 2 times now. Both times the rear seal was toast. I figure it's just something I'll have to live with having an inline 6 cylinder motor i. e. lots of flex. I like the power and torque of the 4.0 for driving and 4wheeling so I'm good with this. I did buy one of the rubber/metal oil pan gaskets and it appears to be holding up good while the vavle cover regular rubber gasket has started to seep again. I'm hoping to find a rubber/metal gasket for that application before i change it again. Bottom line is from my experience the rear seal is just a bad design. Hope this helps.

#10 ·
Yup, both those areas are known leak-prone spots on the XJ. Neither are all that hard to fix/replace though.

If it's the o-rings at the oil filter adapter, you can buy a new o-ring kit from the dealer, or maybe NAPA. Getting the filter adapter off the motor is the worst part of the job.

If it's the rear main, that's not really a hard job either, and new seals can get had from most auto parts stores: http://jeepin.com/features/rearmain

#9 ·
I've got a bunch of little oil spots all over the place, but not enough to drip after the Jeep has been sitting overnight. Looks like my oil pan is leaking in a few places, the oil filter arm has oil on it, and the rear main seal might be leaking as well. There is fluid on the transmission, but I haven't figured out yet what it is. Looks like I didn't tighten down the fittings to my trans temp sensor enough because there is a drop of fluid on that too. Even though I used teflon tape and thought I was gonna strip the fittings because they were so tight. Guess it's time to add gaskets to the list of mods.

Oh yeah, 1998 classic here too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.