Rear main info please!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear main info please!!

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
1948willsy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rear main info please!!

I'm in the middle of replacing the rear main and pan gasket on my 2000 cherokee with the 4.0. My question is if the rear main was really leaking wouldn't torque converter have oil on it also? Any help would be awesome. Thanks

1948willsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

The flexplate would.

Rear main seal is frequently misdiagnosed.

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "***** flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 02-26-2013

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
1948willsy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well I did start at the top of the motor. I replaced the valve cover gasket and then the oil filter adaptor. I've check everywhere else also. And the spot on the driveway pionts to anthoer spot lol. I've already dropped the pan and began to clean everything but the flex plate and torque converter area are clean. I was thinking of only doing the pan gasket beacuse i was thinking if it was really the rear main, that area would also have oil in it also. Thanks for the input
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Flex plate and torque converter spin so fast, that any oil that might drip on them gets slung off.
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
1948willsy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

But wouldn't there be oil in the bell housing though?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.