Rear leaf springs.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear leaf springs..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 12-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
dubaudi
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rear leaf springs..

So after the $1700 disaster I just went through to replace the head, radiator, and every part in between on my 2000 XJ.....plans for a suspension lift may have to wait until spring.

But lately I've noticed my rear suspension is sagging lower than it used to. If I have even one passenger in the back, it looks like a lowrider back there! Is there a relatively inexpensive solution for this? I basically want it to ride maybe 2 inches higher, but not so high that it looks awkward in comparison to the front.

I remember reading somewhere about a replacement leafs that we slightly higher than stock, but searched and couldn't find anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
-Tom

dubaudi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
boondocksaint
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you want to replace the entire leaf pack, but don't want to lift, these might work for you:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11.htm

White 95 XJ - Jacked up and abused
White 98 XJ - Stock and babied
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
dubaudi
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you know if those actually raise the car at all or leave it at stock height? Technically right now I'm sure I'm a bit lower than stock height since they're sagging....but I don't remember what stock height looks like...lol
Unread 12-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
jeepfever87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

At least your disaster happened before you spent a lot of money, mine happened right after the lift. I know a few people that used helper springs for a small boost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeegrrl
What's the point in having adjustable headrests if ya strap them down? (It's like a girl doing that to her um ... dubble_D's. )
jeepfever87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
boondocksaint
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaudi
Do you know if those actually raise the car at all or leave it at stock height? Technically right now I'm sure I'm a bit lower than stock height since they're sagging....but I don't remember what stock height looks like...lol
Those are stock springs, so they'll take it back to stock height. They're also the HD springs, so they should last longer...

Unread 12-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
dubaudi
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkusp40
Those are stock springs, so they'll take it back to stock height. They're also the HD springs, so they should last longer...
Cool, thanks for the info!

One thing I've noticed when I look at other stock XJ's on the road is that it seems like the "Sport" models had a slightly higher ride height than the Limiteds. Can this be verified? Sometimes I'll see an XJ with a perfect, even, stout ride height, then there will be one right next to it with the rear end sagging like mine. From what I can tell, the fronts look to always be around the same height. I thought maybe the Ltd models came a little lower than the Sports but I haven't been able to verify that.
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
boondocksaint
1995 XJ Cherokee 

nope. all came w/ the same springs (as far as I know), except for the Up-Country package, which had about a 1" lift.

Unread 12-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The Up Country package was and inch higher but other than that they are all the same.

FYI the Quadratech HD packs, according to users on here, may give you anywhere from a half inch to an inch over stock height.

Beat me to that.......

*SOLD* 1998 XJ 4.0, Modified Rock Lizard Homebrew lift (about 1.5 inches), 215/75 BFG AT's, Dynomax muffler, Firepower Ignition Kit w/Champion plugs, Sylvania headlamps (best bang for the buck)
dakotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
SuperStreetJeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

since you plan on lifting later 2" blocks could get you by until you buy a complete lift and as long as you end up getting full leaf packs, it shouldn't cause any damage
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
dubaudi
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStreetJeep
since you plan on lifting later 2" blocks could get you by until you buy a complete lift and as long as you end up getting full leaf packs, it shouldn't cause any damage
I was thinking about doing that, but I travel a lot with the car, especially back and forth to Vermont, and I usually have some luggage or a passenger or two with me. I know it would "look" right with the 2 inch blocks, but I'm not sure how long it'll be until I lift it so I think I may just get the HD leafpacks so that at least I know I won't be doing any harm to those weak stock leafs anymore.

Does anyone have a before/after picture with those Quadratec HD packs in?
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
boondocksaint
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It might've been just my luck, but I had a terrible time w/ my blocks. Of course, I left them in for about 9 months, as well. I guees if you leave em in for 3-4months you might be Ok.

Unread 12-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #12
boondocksaint
1995 XJ Cherokee 

This is mine w/ flat springs, 2" blocks, and 235's...

Last edited by boondocksaint; 12-10-2007 at 10:18 AM..
Unread 12-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
AMXJ
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaudi
So after the $1700 disaster I just went through to replace the head, radiator, and every part in between on my 2000 XJ.....plans for a suspension lift may have to wait until spring.

But lately I've noticed my rear suspension is sagging lower than it used to. If I have even one passenger in the back, it looks like a lowrider back there! Is there a relatively inexpensive solution for this? I basically want it to ride maybe 2 inches higher, but not so high that it looks awkward in comparison to the front.

I remember reading somewhere about a replacement leafs that we slightly higher than stock, but searched and couldn't find anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
-Tom

Not the best solution but a quick fix, you could install some air shocks for now. That way you can adjust your ride height.

Add-A-Leafs will raise it up but they will make it ride like crap!

Dennis
AMXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
boondocksaint
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMXJ
Not the best solution but a quick fix, you could install some air shocks for now. That way you can adjust your ride height.

Add-A-Leafs will raise it up but they will make it ride like crap!

Dennis

From what I understand, AAL's are supposed to retain the stock ride...maybe not, though.

Unread 12-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #15
Just4Fun111
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Whats this thing I here about Dakota springs in a jeep? It seems to be with 3" lifts or is it for stock?
Just4Fun111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.