Rear leaf springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear leaf springs

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off Road

Unread 01-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
zatch83
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Rear leaf springs

I have a 92 XJ Laredo with a sagging rear end. The leaf springs are pretty much flat. I'm afraid they might start curving downward. Any ideas how to fix this? Would an add-a-leaf kit be sufficient? I have been pondering a 3" lift for a while, but don't exactly have any money. Aww...the college life!

zatch83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
ddoffroad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rear leafs sag hardcore on hi-mi XJ's....You could AAL it if you want, but if you're gonna take everything appart you mite as well do the lift. You could get a 3" with shocks for like $400 or so...

-ddo

Down & Dirty Offroad: http://ddoffroad.com/
My XJ site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2488225/
My Old XJ Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058746
ddoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
bee guz

leaf sagging

Go to a spring shop, and ask them to add a leaf, they can add one leaf to the bottom and it will correct, you springs, or lift it a little it all depends what you want.

I had a YJ with a plow and the front end used to come down to meet the plow instead of the plow going up, I had one leaf added at the spring shop, new U bolts leafs and labor was 100 bucks, no rust in my eyes priceless...
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Zach,
Check out this link for some ideas on a cheap lift. http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co...dget_boost.htm . You can drive for a long time on sagging springs. Find a U-Pull-It or Pick and Pull self service junkyard, a complete leaf spring is around $12.00. New replacement springs are online at www.quadratec.com

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #5
xjman4life
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have rear springs out of a 96 i wanted to get rid of, i was going to put them in my 89 but i'm getting a lift instead. Might need new bushings cause they were cut out with torches and the junkyard slightly burned them. I will let u have them for a certain fee. Email me at bpsnknm01@msn.com if your interested. Thanks.
xjman4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

Dont use a new shackle. It will just make it worse. I tried it and it inverted mine, so i ended up having todo a 3 inch lift.
Arcticcat843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
MrShaft696

go the the junkyard and get some leafsprings to add. you need some 2.5" wide ones, the s10s and dakotas work fine
Unread 01-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
JeepNFla

I had the same problem on mine about a year ago. As I was getting ready for a road trip, I asked my trusty local wrench what he thought would be a good solution and on his advice I put some air shocks on. Now, I can adjust the rear end level depending on the load. So far so good! If you put the shocks on yourself, they'll run about $60 for the pair.
JeepNFla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
law.74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNFla
...I put some air shocks on. Now, I can adjust the rear end level depending on the load. So far so good! If you put the shocks on yourself, they'll run about $60 for the pair.
Any pics? Are you refering to "shocks" or "lift bags"?
law.74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.