rear hatch won't open - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rear hatch won't open

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

rear hatch won't open

The latch on the rear hatch of my 97 xj won't work anymore. I can't get it open now. How do I go about getting to it so I can open the latch and then fix it. I don't want to destroy the door panel on the hatch, but if it's the only way I guess i'll have to.

Has anybody else dealt with this and how did you fix it?

Unread 06-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
ehall
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If it's not on level ground, drive it to a flat spot and see if it will open
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thats not what it is. The lever to open it feels like it is broken on the inside, it has no resistance to it anymore, it's not because it's on un-even terrain. It's sitting in my garage right now
Unread 06-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
ehall
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Okay the other probability is that the hatch is not fully closed. If it only half closes, the button does nothing. If you drive it around a little bit the body shifting will cause it to release and the hatch will pop open.

Look at the side of the hatch by the tail-light and see if it looks like it is fully closed.
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

This issue has cropped up before, and should the fix (which someone has photographed) probably be made a sticky in the tech. section at the top.

On the 97+, the latch and latch handle are connected by a push/pull rod that is adjustable. Unfortunately, the adjustment clip slips on the rod, resulting in a unlatchable latch. Here is the fix:

1. Working from inside the rear compartment, pop the rear trim panel loose in the area just below the rear window.
2. In the gap between the popped panel and the inside frame of the tailgate, reach you hand down inside and feel around for the push/pull rod that connects the latch and handle. Manipulate the lever at the latch end of this rod until the latch releases, opening the tailgate.
3. Open the gate all the way, and take of the interior trim panel.
4. Observe the push/pull rod, and note it's adjuster on one end. Readjust the rod to properly work when the handle is actuated. Once adjusted, use two "ty-wrap" wire ties around the adjuster connection to insure it does not slip again.
5. Reassemble the rear trim panel, and enjoy a working tailgate latch.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
Okay the other probability is that the hatch is not fully closed. If it only half closes, the button does nothing. If you drive it around a little bit the body shifting will cause it to release and the hatch will pop open.

Look at the side of the hatch by the tail-light and see if it looks like it is fully closed.
97+ does not use the button type latch. It uses a handle type. What you are describing only applies to before the 97 model year on the older XJ with the fiberglass tailgate.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My hatch doesnt always open either. If I exert a little downward pressure on the hatch while lifting the handle with the other hand it will pop right open. Mines a 99 though so it might not help you out on yours.

Last edited by kboyts; 06-08-2008 at 03:48 PM..
kboyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Steamer98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good write up Jeff.

Mine was like kboyts, and I just needed to push down while pulling the handle. Thankfully a liberal greasing took care of the issue.

Stock XJ tire carrier for sale
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424930
Steamer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
oliron

I had the same problem, I had to smack the hatch to the right of the latch with the side of my fist as I had the latch pulled open, once it opened I lubed the latch, Still stick once in a while. Mine is also a 97.

Harold
oliron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
loosenut
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's my solution. I push in right below the handle with my right hand while pulling the handle with my left hand. Works every time. 97 also.
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Look under the rear bumper at the bottom side of the cargo area floor. Just under the hatch handle you should see 2 bolts (item #24 in the drawing). If you have a hitch or gas tank skid they may be blocked.

Remove the 2 bolts and the hatch will open. Replace the the catch (item #21) and the 2 bolts.

Clean and lubricate all the lock and latching mechanisms. Re-attach any loose operating rods (usually #18).

Click on the link for a bigger size drawing - http://fototime.com/FB863E3C732E833/orig.jpg .

For 1997 - 2001.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #12
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mine use to stick alot and finally wouldn't open. I reached in like it says above and opened it, took off the panel, removed the latch assembly and cleaned/oiled the **it out of it! Works like a new latch and haven't had a bit of trouble since then. I think being on the rear of the jeep it gets alot of crap built up and tends to stick over time.
Unread 06-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
TreddyoXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mine doesn't seem to like to open when it's hot outside. In cold weather it works perfectly. When I have issues with it, I just pull it extremely hard and it opens. I don't know if this problem is that same as that of what this post is discussing, but I also have a 97 and it makes me think it might be. If it ever gets really stuck to the point where I can't open it, I guess I'll dismember it.
SOLD: 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country w/D44, D30 w/ Aussie locker, Edge Trail Jammer System, 4.5" Rough Country lift, Zacatal Roof Rack, T&T front bumper, all lower body/bumpers/trim are Herculined, 31x10.5 MT Baja Claws, Warn 9.5ti. Ephesians 6:10-18

I HATE when people hijack threads. PM!
TreddyoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I removed the 2 rear side panels then the hatch struts, allowing access to the screws holding on the tail gate panel. Pry'd the panel away enough to reach in and pull the lever and open the hatch. Once opened I removed the panned completely and realized that the problem is that the rod connecting the handle to the latch slipped though some thus it couldn't pull high enough to open. Mine had been having trouble opening for a while and this makes sense. each time it was slipping more. Re adjusted it then tightened the clamps that hold it. Now it opens better than new!
Unread 07-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
tapalmer99
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought a '95 Grand Cherokee (my first jeep), and the rear hatch won't open. It looks like it has been hit lightly - like a parking lot incident, or backing into a wall. There's no damage, just an appearance that the rear bumper guard extension had been pushed. It locks and unlocks, but won't release. It seems as though the mechanism rods have come unhooked from the handle/lock. I was going to take the inside panel off to get to the guts.

Any other recommendation...?

Thanks.

-Tom
-tapalmer99@aol.com
tapalmer99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.