Rear Hatch Struts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear Hatch Struts?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
JerseyRepresent
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rear Hatch Struts?

So i read somewhere around here that when the stock hatch struts wear out and the door constantly cracks you in the noodle you can swap out the xj struts with 96-00 explorer hatch struts. I was at the pick and pull over the weekend and snagged a pair for 8 bucks but they mount different than the stock xj ones. On my 2000 it has a ball and socket mount on the bottom and up top like a tiny little heim joint with a pin running through it attached to a bracket thats bolted into the rear hatch. On the explorer strut it is has the ball and socket on both top and bottom. Am i missing something here? Anyone every done this before and have to swap out the ends from your stock struts to the explorer struts? Thanks in advance

Unread 03-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
Codyxbell
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have never tried this swap, I decided just to go to my local parts store and spend 50 bucks on a set with a 2 year warranty, I live in Arizona and it seems that as soon as it starts to get hot outside the gas evaporates in them somehow and they become week. I end up getting a free set under the warranty every summer. hehe

I think you should be able to screw the vehicle specific connectors off of the pistons if you put them in a vice grip and do some handy word with some channel locks.
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Stop being so damn cheap and go buy a new set already.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
dmwade
1998 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on just going and dropping thirty bucks. did it the other day and my hatch isn't falling on my head, i have to watch out when i open it or it will knock my teeth out...
dmwade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
JerseyRepresent
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Stop being so damn cheap and go buy a new set already.
Autism zone wants 60 bucks for the pair. I got the Explorer pair for 8.
Quote:
I think you should be able to screw the vehicle specific connectors off of the pistons if you put them in a vice grip and do some handy word with some channel locks.
The connectors off the Xj struts unscrewed right off. The explorer ones dont seem to be threaded on but possibly pressed? Thats where i am running into my problem.
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

After a year or two of the pain, suffering and humillation from the frequent head injuries, broken fingers and bringing shame onto your family by being "that guy" in the parking lot of Home Depot you'll break down too just like I did and get the new ones no matter what they cost. I got the Strongarm ones from Advance Auto and now I have to push the trunk down or it won't close, so much nicer. You can find 15 -20% off coupons online which makes it an even better deal. You can do it, I know you can, stop the madness!!!!
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
BlindmeXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

teamcherokee.com $35.95 plus shipping

http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi...+gate&catid=95

Last edited by BlindmeXJ; 03-08-2011 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: OOPS
BlindmeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindmeXJ View Post
teamcherokee.com $35.95 plus shipping

http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi...+gate&catid=95
Good call, I love that site, they have tons of great OE stuff and always at the best prices.
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought some for my WJ at rockauto. $27 plus shipping and there's discount codes all over the intarwebz. Rockauto hasn't let me down yet!

http://www.rockauto.com
Crewdude007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i thought autozone had a set with lifetime warranty, so you can just return them when they go bad
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

here you go
lifetime warranty
29.99 each,
a little steep for the initial purchase, but they will pay for themselves.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...853570_0_7470_
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
cubsin2079
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get them cheap at RockAuto. Find a coupon code.
Uniden 520proxl, Hella 500s, rock lights.
cubsin2079 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

97+ like yours uses the ball on one side and the bracket on the other. 96- uses the double socket. What you have probably works for 96- but not yours.

I picked up a set of strongarms from amazon for $25 shipped.
scott_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
w1ck3p0n3
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've smashed my head 10 times already, these are my next purchase
w1ck3p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Strongarm & Sach's (oem supplier) are the best ones out there. Usually about $20/each but well worth it.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.