Rear exhaust hanger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear exhaust hanger

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 09-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Bienkow
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Rear exhaust hanger

I am in the process of replacing my exhaust and tried to remove the rear hanger. Tried to unbolt it from the frame rail but the bolt just spins. Any ideas?

Bienkow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
TREXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

First, always spray a day or two minimum before attempting to break any bolt/nut free. If its a long bolt, grab it with good vice grips to back the nut off. If not there is always the option of using a sawzall or wizzer wheel to cut bolt out completely. With jeeps sometimes you need to be creative and think outside the box with your troubleshooting and problem solving.
Good luck......
TREXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bienkow View Post
I am in the process of replacing my exhaust and tried to remove the rear hanger. Tried to unbolt it from the frame rail but the bolt just spins. Any ideas?
The nut must have rusted off the nut strip. It is time to break out the angle grinder and cut it off.

After that, you are going to have to get that nut strip out of the frame (real easy to do) then fish some 1/2 inch bolts in there to re hang the exhaust.

I don't have time to find the thread with the directions to do this, but search "trailer hitch install" stuff on the site. Maybe someone will post that has it bookmarked.
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I cut the rubber hanger and then cut the tail pipe off just enough to get to the hitch bolts. The hanger at the muffler is close enough to support the tailpipe without the rear hanger.

This would not likely pass a strict safety check though. It does help prevent you from digging in and folding your tail pipe around your axle when offroading though.

I also run a gastank skid, so I'm not worried about melting the plastic cover for the tanks itself.

The solution to run 100% stock is to remove the hitch(if present) and frame rail nutserts and either replace with new or drill and tap out when out of the vehicle.
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
Bienkow
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you. I will check into the trailer hitch install.
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
Bienkow
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I have had no luck finding anything on replacing the nut strips. Anyone have a clue where to look?
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
ballisticpk

I would just go to a local welding shop and have them weld on a bracket. Wouldn't cost more than 20 bucks
ballisticpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
Bienkow
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Found opening to put nut strip in. Have to cut off the bumper mount bracket, previous owner welded them to the body.
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bienkow View Post
Found opening to put nut strip in. Have to cut off the bumper mount bracket, previous owner welded them to the body.
You shouldn't have to cut off the bumper IF YOU CAN just get it out of the way. You are going to want to fish a 1/2 inch bolt back through that hole and pull it down through the frame to hang the bracket.

The actual nut strip can stay in there if it is easier for you.
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.