Rear End Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear End Swap

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
XJdriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rear End Swap

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 4x4 with a 5-speed manual tranny. The car runs great but there is a lot of play in the rear end, and unless you match the RPMs Perfectly every time you Down shift you can feel the play in the rear end and it is really annoying. Luckily i have a 1999 Cherokee parts car sitting at my dad's shop that i want to swap the rear end from, but it is a two wheel drive automatic. Does anybody know if the two rear ends will have the same gearing or how to tell what kind of gearing they have?

XJdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

There should be a little metal tag on the differential cover. it will say what the gearing is for example 373 or 355 something like that
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
onespeedpaul

^^what he said, check the tags^^

that being said, typically the 5spd's are 3.05, and autos 3.55 (both assuming 4.0L) at least when i made my '99 2wd 5spd into a 5spd 4x4 and used an automatic donor for axles/Xfer/extras-that's how it worked out for me...
onespeedpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

you will have to swap at both the axles. and you will notice better acceleration.
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
XJdriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89 View Post
you will have to swap at both the axles. and you will notice better acceleration.
Won't this screw up the transfer case and cause it to bind because the front diff and rear diff are at different ratios ?
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89 View Post
The donor jeep is two wheel drive. If it has the 3:55 gearing you can buy a front d30 from another auto 4wd and swap both axles. That will be like having an auto with 4:10 gears and will be set-up for 31 or 32" tires.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
kilrfrog79
1988 XJ Cherokee 

if the gear ratios arent the same, it will definately cause the transfer case to grenade on you. or, remove the front drive shaft and run 2x until you get the gears to regear it...
kilrfrog79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
XJdriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to have my dad help me rebuild the rear rather then swap it out and re gear the front. Are there any write ups for rebuilding a jeep rear end? My dad says he has done fords before but never a jeep.
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...t=pinion+shaft
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4x4 , conversion. , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.