rear end issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rear end issue

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
olds1972
1996 XJ Cherokee 

rear end issue

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. On my 1995 xj and I believe a d35 rear end. When I put it in 4 wheel drive, it feels like the rear end is locking up and the passenger rear wheel develops a wheel hop like problem. It does not do it in 2w, only 4w. I have pulled the rear drive shaft and the car drives OK that way also. Only an issue when I put it into 4w with driveshaft in and it feels like I thru out an anchor and then if I try to turn, wheel hop in the passenger side rear...any thoughts? Thanks

olds1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

You may have a limited slip rear diff with worn out fluid. If you can't find a sticker indicating it's LS then jack up both rear wheels off the ground and if when turning one wheel the other wheel turns in the same direction then you have LS, if so change the fluid and add some friction modifier.

Worn out fluid will make a racket (clutch discs chattering) while turning but not while driving straight, but it might be worth a try.
Weebur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
olds1972
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks.I will try that this morning and see how that goes...
Unread 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
olds1972
1996 XJ Cherokee 

OK. I tried the fluid change and still the same thing. In 4w only, the back tires feel like they are locking up and start to wheel hop. In 2w, everything is fine. I disabled my anti locks and that did change the issue. I am thinking it could be the transfer case but why would it only happen in 4w to the back only? I have never looked inside one to understand how it works but could that be it?

Has anyone else had this problem or any other suggestions?

Thanks bryan
Unread 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
billb2011
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Putting it in 4WD shouldnt make any difference to the rear axle. If it was locked or even LSD it would still hop and feel sluggish in 2WD. Are you sure its not your front axle making it feel like it doesnt want to go. Is there a difference between 4WD LO and 4WD HI?
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1) Do not use 4x4 on dry pavement. If you are testing (or using) the 4x4, you should be on grass, dirt, snowy roads, or gravel only.

2) determine the gear ratio for each axle. They both need to be the same ratio. Look for a tag on the diff cover, jack up the axle and spin a tire by hand (twice around 360* and count the number of times the pinion yoke spins), or read the stampings on the ring gear.

3) Do you have Limited Slip ? Did you add Limited Slip Friction Modifier to the fresh gear oil ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
olds1972
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys for the quick response...So here is how I tested it and what I found

1) kind of wet pavement..it has been a raining slightly
2) I did pull the rear drive shaft and it drove fine...no weird noise and the back didnt have the wheel hop. (this is what is killing me)
3) 4w low does the same thing as 4w hi in a straight line it feels like I am dragging an anchor and I turn, wheel hop. I currently have 3 jeeps, 2 Cherokees and a wrangler, and this one is not like the others.
4) When I changed the fluid, I did add the modifier to the oil and no metal shavings in the oil when I removed it.

- Here is a side note which might or not be a sign. The oil in the front was dirty, oil in the back very clean. Might be a coincidence???

I havent checked the gear ratio yet but will tomorrow.

Thanks 2 both of you for the ideas....
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

If you pull the stock rear drive shaft on an XJ then ATF tranny fluid will pour out of your NP231 or NP242 whichever you have. It sounds like you have a different gear ratio in the front and back. A worn out track lock won't lock up at all. It just acts like an open diff. The friction modifier has very little noticeable affect on the way your limited slip would work if you do have a limited slip. If you have say 3.54 in front and 3.73 in back you will get a fairly pronounced "lurching" from side to side just trying to drive in a straight line even on slick surfaces.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
olds1972
1996 XJ Cherokee 

First...thanks for everyones help with this..Second, I am man enough to admit when I miss something...I was looking at the rear tires for so long and one of the front ones and all the sizes where the same. I didnt bother to look at the last front one until today when checking the gear ratio and noticed the one I was looking at was different then the other 3. 3 out of the 4 are 225/75/15, the front one 215/70/15. I swapped out my other jeep tires that where 225/75/15 and bam, no more problem. I cant believe I missed that but it does explain alot. I guess lesson learned, always check the small things first.

Once again..thanks for all the help
Unread 11-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Glad it's sorted - and without major expense, too.
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.