rear driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rear driveshaft

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
mollydodger
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

rear driveshaft

My drive shaft is badly rusted. Not just the average surface rust but really heavy and nasty scaling type rust. I think there may have been a balancing weight that is now gone and causing some minor vibes at certain speeds. I have searched a local salvage yard for a replacement but they tell me there are different shafts depending on drive line manufacturers. Is this true and how can I tell which one I need to get? Thanks in advance.

mollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

As long as you get close to the right year you will be fine,I have a front d/s from a 01 on the rear of my 98 and it works up front also.
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Should be added that a SYE is needed to run a front shaft in the rear.

But the only thing you need to watch out for is to make sure the new shaft comes from a jeep with the same transmission as yours. Auto and manual have different length shafts.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollydodger View Post
.. Is this true and how can I tell which one I need to get?
Yes, this is true.

1) What engine do you have 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder ?

2) Stick shift or automatic transmission ?

3) The only remaining question is which of 2 possible rear axles. Use the Google and search for how to tell the difference between the two.

When you know the answer to these three questions, buy a drive shaft from a 1997-2001 with the same engine/transmission/rear axle.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.