Rear driver door stuck on lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear driver door stuck on lock

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
reindeerfuel
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Rear driver door stuck on lock

97 Cherokee
Manual locks
Rear Drivers Side Door

Ive got the panel off from the inside and tried pushing and pulling the rod to unlock it but having no luck. I soaked everything i could see in there with WD40 with still no luck. Anyone know how to get it unlocked?

reindeerfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Bock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Not to thread jack. My 96 with power locks won't open from inside or outside

If it breaks it just means upgrade
Bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Look in with a flashlight an observe where the push/pull rod connects to the door latch assembly. See what is keeping it from pivoting.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
reindeerfuel
1996 XJ Cherokee 

**UPDATE**
I got the door open and found the problem, it was not stuck on lock but the rod that is supposed to go back up after you pull/push the lever on the handle to open the door does not go back, the spring and components are rusted. I soaked in WD40 and moved it up and down by hand but it is still not retracting like it should. Anyone know how to fix this or am i just going to have to replace it?

here is a pic of what im talking about

Unread 03-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

WD-40 is neither a cleaner nor lubricant. Use Throttle Body cleaner spray to remove any old grease on the door latch and door handle/Lock mechanisms. Use a light oil to lubricate everything. Break Free CLP gun oil is a Cleaner Lubricant Product and works great for door lock/latches.

If the whole mess is too rusty, stop by the junkyard and get a replacement.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
reindeerfuel
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks tim, found a can of carb cleaner in the garage and sprayed it out with that. After moving it with my hand a few times it would retract on its own and now my door is fix! thanks a bunch for your advice.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.