Rear Door/Hatch won't close - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rear Door/Hatch won't close

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 12-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rear Door/Hatch won't close

You read it right, I have somehow managed to get the latch stuck closed, and the door is open. It's not locked and I've tried to pull on it with a bar as I pull the latch, no luck. Any other ideas out there??

Thanks,
DK

Ruffnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Take the tail gate trim panel off, clean and lubricate the locking and latching mechanisms, and look for any detached parts. The operating rods sometime come loose and need to be reconnected. A small zip tie will lock them in place.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dangit I hate taking interior panels off! I have a panel popper and I still wreck ****!! Thanks, I'll try it on my days off.
Unread 12-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I should mention it's a '98. I pulled the trim pane off and nothing is accessible from the inside side of the door either. There are 3 torx screws, two on the bottom that face down when the door is close and one at the top. But it looks like if i undo these, i still wouldn't be able to pull the sheet metal out of the way. I'll post a pic if i can figure out how with this app...thanks again!
Unread 12-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

And that latch is well oiled, as soon as it starts acting up i shoot some jigaloo up in there and it works fine.
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here's my latch, trim off...and in the time it took to attach the photo i can see i can access it from the top.
image-2398351626.jpg  
Unread 12-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sit in the cargo area, pull the tail gate partially closed, look inside. The operating rod connects the outside handle to the latch mechanism. Push or pull the rod or whatever it is attached to and the latch will open. Clean and lubricate both mechanisms. Readjust the operating rod so the handle works correctly.

tailgate-latch-2.jpg   tailgate-latch.jpg  

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tim Is correct I recently had two of my XJs with similar problem pull the rear panel off and remove the rear latch make sure that you disconnect the poewr door lock rod and the handle operating rod and remove the one nut that holds the latch to the tail gate. Then clean all old dirt and grease with brake part cleaner. look to seee if the handle operatimg rod has slipped it is a threaded rod and adjest as you need. Do not replace trim untill you are certain that you have working correctly then apply a small coat of fresh grease and check that everything is working well using a screwdriver to lock the mechanisim and use the door latch opener to check for proper function.once you have made certain all is well replace the rear trim.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys, got it working. I dropped the trim and snapped the window frame part so now I need to find the rear door trim...wish me luck

Tags
door latch , rear door , rear hatch , rear hatch stuck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.