rear brake vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rear brake vibration

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
artboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

rear brake vibration

I have a bad vibration coming from the rear brakes when I brake over 40. It also happens when I pull on parking brake slightly at speed. IT IS DEFINATELY THE REAR BRAKES!! I REPLACE THE SHOES AND DRUMS.. still there. Only thing I can find is when I turn the passenger wheel to adjust star wheel the shoes grab unevenly as the wheel turns as if the drum were warped (but it is new)! did the same thing with the last set of drums I had as well. Could the axle be slightly bent?.. only thing I can think of.. HELP! PS.. there are no vibes at all unless braking

My Pics
"life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once and awhile, you could miss it"...F. Bueller
artboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #2
jd4x426
1996 XJ Cherokee 

check and make sure you brake pads are setting in properly make sure the springs and cables in there are all working properly also
jd4x426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

switch over to rear disc breaks you will love em,I just did mine got them of a grand cherokee but I have heard you can bolt up liberty rear discs with no problems so might be worth looking in to.i would also check and see if the axle is stright just jack up the back and spin the tire to see if it wobbles or not.be sure to check your rims also
Unread 05-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Fox Fader
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've been fighting the same problem now. I can't figure it out. Here's my thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/slight-vibration-braking-before-after-brake-service-751677/
Unread 05-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
waltercrovo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The Drums/or Drum Is Bent, Common Problem When A Shop Or Person Prys Or Beats Them Off With A Hammer. They Get Stuck Pretty Good. If Not To Bad Machining Them Will Cure It, If Not R/r Will Be The Cure.
waltercrovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
EvansXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Vibration under braking 98 XJ

I have been having the same prob. Driving me crazy! I can hear and feel the vibe near shifters for tranny and transfer case while in the jeep. Only under braking. Also if you use e-brake only, just not as pronounced. I replaced drums and shoes today, w/ new wheel cylinders and hardware kit. Thought I had a warped drum. No deal. Also have replaced shocks, steering stabilizer,trans mount, motor mounts,swaybar bushings w/ links. New u-joints. I think you get the idea. I can't duplicate the sound while on a lift. Only on the road. Vibe is there in any gear on tranny, w/ or w/o 4WD, get up to speed in nuetral, still there. Also with tranny in nuetral and transfer case in nuetral. Also can slightly hear same sound while going down thw h-way over bumps that get the suspention kinda floating. PLEASE HELP
EvansXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
97babyxj

Bringing it back to life, any solutions for this problem? I am encountering a similiar issue with my 99.
97babyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

You could have a bent axle flange or drums out of round. Have the drums turned and check the axle flange by spinning a jacked up wheel to observe run-out.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.