Rear 4 link questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-12-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Cobra03
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Rear 4 link questions

I have a 91 XJ that i am wanting to do a custom rear 4 link with coils. what are the pros and cons of doing this over leaf springs. i want more articulation. pro. can i use 3in front lift springs in the rear for this project? anyone have any pics beside clayton offroads jeep? I dont like their setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Rock Krawler Catalog

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-12-2010, 08:01 PM
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

TNT has one of the best belly pans and rear coil/4 link on the market imho, not cheep, but well worth the extra clearance and strength you'd gain over other kits.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...-coils-811707/

And Stock TJ rear coils will give you 5" of lift, so no, I would not recommend a 3" XJ front coil in the rear

96 XJ:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
***** inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:

post #4 of 16 Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with the above, 3" lift springs are far to short.

Most guys building custome 4-link are running coilovers with +10" of travel.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-13-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Cobra03
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
i dont want to buy one i want to make it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
TNT has one of the best belly pans and rear coil/4 link on the market imho, not cheep, but well worth the extra clearance and strength you'd gain over other kits.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...-coils-811707/

And Stock TJ rear coils will give you 5" of lift, so no, I would not recommend a 3" XJ front coil in the rear
i like the way this was made. i was thinking on cutting into my rear frame rails and putting in a pocket. but i think i will just put the coil on the bottom of the frame.

91 XJ 12in custom long arm (still in the works)
35in pro comp mud terrains m/t classics L.A. from ironman4x4fab.com
post #6 of 16 Old 01-14-2010, 07:15 AM
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra03 View Post
i like the way this was made. i was thinking on cutting into my rear frame rails and putting in a pocket. but i think i will just put the coil on the bottom of the frame.
I had actually thought about getting the back two pieces of the belly pan(they bolt up to my existing belly pan), and rear cross member, then building the rest myself. TNT quoted me about $400 for the parts I wanted.

96 XJ:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
***** inches...

Last edited by RockRodHooligan; 05-17-2010 at 05:49 AM.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 AM
wil badger

It's not coils but this is what I did with mine when I 4 linked it.

[Jeeps-Offroad Reader Rigs] :: Rear Coilover conversion

You might want to look into doing something with a rear swaybar. Yes you will gain droop in articulation but the price is body roll. The rear leaf springs help to stabilize the vehicle in off camber positions with coils the body will want to roll a bit more.

post #8 of 16 Old 05-17-2010, 12:29 AM
87jeepgw
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

with a triangulated 4 link you eliminate the need for a trac bar and sway bars
post #9 of 16 Old 05-17-2010, 12:37 AM
wil badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87jeepgw View Post
with a triangulated 4 link you eliminate the need for a trac bar and sway bars
Huh?. You are correct that a track bar wouldn't be needed but what is your thinking on the no swaybar? Being triangulated you would still need a swaybar to help stabilize body roll. Not to say you can get away without one. I didn't have one but it would have helped that's for sure.

post #10 of 16 Old 05-17-2010, 01:03 AM
87jeepgw
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

your right but for a trail rig its not necessary, as long as you dont go hauling around a corner its not a problem...but ive seen tri 4 links with minimal body roll...the higher it goes the more body roll you get, thats what ive found out haha
post #11 of 16 Old 05-17-2010, 01:21 AM
wil badger

Ya well being the driver of a linked truck I can tell you that you are pretty wrong on that one. Trying being off camber and lifting a tire, not a fun feeling.

post #12 of 16 Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 AM
87jeepgw
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

every rig handles different, my wrangler has a custom 4 link and is fine with out sway bars
post #13 of 16 Old 05-17-2010, 03:06 AM
wil badger

That's a completely different rig and can be made to have a lower CG. I'm talking about a rear swaybar. I never ran a front swaybar. I know that I would have run one on the rear but I kind of used the air bumps to get away with it. Like I said it can be done but with the right swaybar you won't even notice it while it's doing it's job. You will not lose an articulation by running the proper setup either. I used to be able to do everything from run around the West Desert at 90 or go crawling around in the rocks without issue but it would have been even smoother with a nice rear swaybar on it.

post #14 of 16 Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 AM
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Will, is that a BTF rear truss?

And I totally agree with Will on a rear sway bar, though I will be running something like an Anti-Rock or ORO Sway-Lock when I 4-link the rear. I'll be putting one of the two up front once I get the new front axle and long arms on up front.

96 XJ:

Quote:
***** inches...
post #15 of 16 Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 AM
wil badger

Ya that was BTF truss. Nothing to special if I were to do it again I would have just made my own truss that was separate of the cover.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.