Really stupid cooling question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Really stupid cooling question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Really stupid cooling question

Unfortunately, I can't say i'm a newbie, but I'm kind of stumped. I just replaced my temperature sensor on the water pump last week. Since I did my Jeep sits right on 210 and the e-fan has been running a lot more than ever. My old sensor read just above 180 all the time and if it got to 210 the e fan would kick on.

Now, MA and the rest of NE have been experiencing a crazy heat wave lately so I'm sure this is more of a coincidence then anything however.....

I'm worried about the e-fan running all the time and does this mean that my old sensor was actually allowing my Jeep to run too hot!?

I replaced it because every once in a while it wouldn't send a message to the dash and would suddenly work if I gave it full throttle..... <---- is this a clog issue.

I'm thinking I'm going to just replace almost everything r/t to cooling because my XJ now has 178000 miles on it.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
VTEK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

A cooling system overhaul would be great for the jeep. Get an ir heat gun and make sure the sensor is reading correctly. Your old sensor could have been wrong.
Had/have 6Jeeps/5Cherokees/4XJ's
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEK1 View Post
Unfortunately, I can't say i'm a newbie, but I'm kind of stumped. I just replaced my temperature sensor on the water pump last week. Since I did my Jeep sits right on 210 and the e-fan has been running a lot more than ever. My old sensor read just above 180 all the time and if it got to 210 the e fan would kick on.

Now, MA and the rest of NE have been experiencing a crazy heat wave lately so I'm sure this is more of a coincidence then anything however.....

I'm worried about the e-fan running all the time and does this mean that my old sensor was actually allowing my Jeep to run too hot!?

I replaced it because every once in a while it wouldn't send a message to the dash and would suddenly work if I gave it full throttle..... <---- is this a clog issue.

I'm thinking I'm going to just replace almost everything r/t to cooling because my XJ now has 178000 miles on it.
Critical question - year & engine?

There's no temperature sensor on the water pump proper, but there could be one, two, or three sensors - depending on year & engine. And, the various sensors would have different functions.

1987-1990 w/6-242 will have THREE sensors:
- Driver's side rear of the cylinder head. Drives the IP gage or lamp.
- Driver's side radiator tank. Drives the relay for the electric cooling fan.
- Driver's side of cylinder block, behind the exhaust. Generates the signal for the ECM.

1991-1995 w/6-242 has TWO sensors:
- Driver's side rear of cylinder head, as above.
- Thermostat housing. Drives the electric fan and generates the signal for the ECM.

1997-up w/6-242 has ONE sensor:
- Thermostat housing, drives ALL functions (feeds signal to ECM, ECM drives IP indicator and electric fan over OBD-II CAN Bus.)

I'd have to look up data for the 4-150 engine, as I don't deal with that engine much. And 1985-1987 w/Renault turbodiesel is another critter entirely, as are the 1984-1986 w/Chevvy V6-173...

Design operating temperature for the 4-150 and 6-242 run 205-210*F, although earlier years may be "pulled down" with some simple modifications - with no ill effect (OBD-I is somewhat picky about operating temperature, and may throw a code if it stays low. OBD-II damned sure will throw a code on you!)

You can see that this is not as simple as the question you post - more information, please!
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

99 4.0 xj

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 08-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
TrucksBootsNGun
1988 MJ Comanche 

Sorry to take off topic but stupid question, Your electric fan kicks on when the truck is just hot? Mine only kicks on if the AC is on....
TrucksBootsNGun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrucksBootsNGun
Sorry to take off topic but stupid question, Your electric fan kicks on when the truck is just hot? Mine only kicks on if the AC is on....
You need the sensor on the thermostat housing, unplug it and the fan should kick on.
Had/have 6Jeeps/5Cherokees/4XJ's
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As far as I know, it's a stock t-stat, all I did was replace the sensor. So I think the sensor was faulty.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.