Really low mpg?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Really low mpg??

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
witchdoctor7710
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Really low mpg??

Hi..I have been contemplating lifting my cherokee, but also selling it for a better one/already lifted one. It is stock (01) with 136k on it, and i get 12.5 city, and 20 highway....i don't understand why my city mpg is so low..which is what deterred me from lifting it..because the mpg would be even worse, when i know thats what i should be getting after a lift kit...everything is mechanically sound and up to date...the only thing i could think of is that is needs a very small alignment, but not to where no one can drive it without fighting steering, and i think it needs a hub bearing in the front, from a whirring sound that correlates to the jeep's speed.....my mpg wouldn't be from those to things would it? I find that hard to believe.........also because i was looking at a cherokee that was lifted a while ago that did not have the speedo/odo gear corrected, so the speed and mileage was obvioulsy sightly off....but the truck also had a mpg calculator in it and read 10.8mpg.....so would i assume that would be lower than the actual mpg as well since its going off the same readings the speedo and odo are?

Unread 06-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
witchdoctor7710
2001 XJ Cherokee 

any help is appreciated, thanks!
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
CoyoteHunter
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Are you running big or wide tires?
Are your gears stock?
Heavier steel or lighter alloy rims?
Hauling anything?
I'm just throwing out some ideas.
CoyoteHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
mayeni
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I do not think it is that bad. When I saw the header I was expecting something like 1 mpg. But search the forum, it have been cover at least 10 times the last year.
mayeni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Fix any known problems. Make sure all your tune-up/ignition parts are fresh.

Larger tires make the speedometer and odometer display less than actual, so mpg's must be adjusted if you do not install a different speedometer gear.

Your mpg's are not that far off, but I would test the O2 sensors and the Coolant Temperature Sensor, and replace them if they are slow to respond or failing. Your driving style has the greatest effect on your mpg's.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I get 12-13 mpg city with a 4.5" lift and larger tires.I could get a little better but I drive with a heavy right foot.Driving style has a lot to do with mileage.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Supertrooper50
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I run 4.56 on 33s and I get 16 town 22 hwy
Supertrooper50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertrooper50 View Post
I run 4.56 on 33s and I get 16 town 22 hwy
Show-off!
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
witchdoctor7710
2001 XJ Cherokee 

everyting is up to date, and every thing is stock, I have no lift, and i have 235/75/15 tires, gears are stock, I have some stuff in the back and a brush guard, but nothing that wold be like hauling something...my driving is fine, i dont really drive with a heavy foot so it isnt that, and @cj7-tim, yes you would have to do that, but im saying would the mpg displayed in the overhead be off like the speedo since they're both computer based in the truck?
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor7710
everyting is up to date, and every thing is stock, I have no lift, and i have 235/75/15 tires, gears are stock, I have some stuff in the back and a brush guard, but nothing that wold be like hauling something...my driving is fine, i dont really drive with a heavy foot so it isnt that, and @cj7-tim, yes you would have to do that, but im saying would the mpg displayed in the overhead be off like the speedo since they're both computer based in the truck?
Just a FYI my overhead shows 15mpg, and my ultra gauge shows 12-13mpg calculated myself comes out to be 12-13. Stock up country with 235s, gets up to and stays at 185-215f, New o2 sensors, new intake filter, fresh plugs, grounds all redone, I always stay under 2k rpm, 784 injectors, injector cleaner every fill up, intakes manifold is clean as a whistle along with the tb, everything sounds mechanically sound.
Iv come to the conclusion that I just take very short trips, all the time and that's what causing the bad mpg. Work is 4 miles always and everything else is pretty much less then a mile away. like you I also get 20-21mpg hwy
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
witchdoctor7710
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So do you think that cold be why as well? becuase everything is pretty much a few miles away from me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.