Real TECH: ENGINE BUILD THREAD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Real TECH: ENGINE BUILD THREAD

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Real TECH: ENGINE BUILD THREAD

I want to see what others have used as far as parts and machine work and what direction (performance/reliability, etc) that you took with your engine build/rebuild. Moreover, I am looking for CONTRIBUTIONS from others who have built/rebuilt thier 4.0 liters, and the best parts for specific builds.

- Best use of stock parts?
* Best year block
* best year head
* best crank stroker/non-stroker apps
* Best con rods Stroker/non stroker apps
* Best cam in stock form
* Interchangability of stock parts (Ex: RENIX block, H.O. head, etc)

- Best aftermarket parts?
*Oiling system
*roller rockers
*timing sets
*Pistons, custom or stock, cast or forged, coated or non
*Cam profiles and specs, stock grind to insane lift and duration
*Where to buy
*anything else performance-related. Etc, etc.

- Tech tips/ resources?
* Recommended machine work
* Performance upgrades
* Parts suppliers
* Contacts
* prices
* Specs, profiles, blueprints, dyno results.
* etc

I'd like to see what others are building, what it cost them, and what approach they took to doing so, and make it an open discussion so that we all might gain some knowledge from this thread.

Let the fun begin.

Last edited by 4.0H.O.XJ; 03-15-2009 at 03:27 AM..
4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Gsmyth75
1992 XJ Cherokee 

So far I'm at
Cylinder Head Rebuild - Napa - ~200
Camshaft (Crower 44243 Duel Pattern) with Camsaver lifters ~ 245

The block is headed to napa now to have it reconditioned and I'm soon to order a couple things from summit.. (timing chain, head bolts, Keith black pistons).
Gsmyth75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
blacky_j
1998 XJ Cherokee 

man gsm your project sounds super fun. wish i had another car so i could rebuild my jeep
Unread 03-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Gsmyth75
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacky_j View Post
man gsm your project sounds super fun. wish i had another car so i could rebuild my jeep
Yeah, It's been alot of fun so far, It's going to be dropped in later on this week. Signature is my updated list of new parts. So far cost has been 1800 bucks including machine work. And you don't need another car just hitch rides from friends like I am.
Unread 03-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
FrankZ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

A few links that you should have bookmarked already.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...46&postcount=2
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/bryce/stroker/stroker.cfm
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...l_summary.html
Unread 03-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
jontz
1995 XJ Cherokee 

As far as the best block goes, anything from '96 on. The main webs were stiffened with extra ribbing and they have a main bearing girdle to reduce NVH. I don't think the block really changed from 96-01, so any of them should be fine.

I don't think the stock cranks changed much if at all over the entire lifespan of th 4.0 motor, but if you are looking to build a stroker using an AMC 258 crank, you want the one from '72-'80 with 12 counterweights. The extra weights smooth out vibration and it is the strongest one made of all the different years.

As for heads, you want the ones from '91-'98. Anything before that is a non-HO head and has a severe intake restriction. Anything after '98 (the infamous 0331) has some well documented problems on this forum, but in addition it also has smaller, more restrictive exhaust ports. You can port&polish any of these heads, but I would still stick with the '91-'98.

I'm sure I'll think of other stuff later...
jontz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
Gsmyth75
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well, My build is done. The parts I used are in my sig.
If anyone has any questions about rebuilding a 4.0 let me know, I might be able to help. OH, and label every bolt in zip lock bags it helps a ton when putting back together.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.