RE, Tomken, Rustys, $ky jacker, or combo???? - I read the old post. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > RE, Tomken, Rustys, $ky jacker, or combo???? - I read the old post.

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

View Poll Results: What Lift
Rusty 9 64.29%
RE 7 50.00%
Tomken 0 0%
$ky Jacker 1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-05-2003, 11:25 PM   #1
thegoofster

RE, Tomken, Rustys, $ky jacker, or combo???? - I read the old post.

I know you guys get tired of answering these questions, but what are forms for, Right?

Any way I have a ’91 XJ, 4.0 Auto (AW4), with a NV231 T case. Dana 30 front and Corp. 8.5” in the rear. (soon to be a Ford 8.8”) my question, of course, is which lift to get. Heard good and bad things about all companies. I just want to get some more input before I plunk down my hard earned cash (tough to keep $$ from the wife) I am looking for 6+ inch lift. I thinking about the long are setup but not sure about them yet. I do moderate to serious off-roading and drive my Jeep almost every day. I want a Serious lift (no glam crap here) handles just as good on road as it does off. I willing to mix and match just wanted some input. Any and all Help, comments, and criticism would be great.

1992 XJ - 4" lift, 31" tires, 8.8 in the rear, 4.11s, frame stiffeners, skids all the way around. 1988 xj - 8" lift, 35" tires, D44 alloy shafts, boxed in frame, locked, skids on everything, K&N, Flow master Exhaust...
thegoofster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2003, 07:28 AM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

It would depend on how much you wanted to spend. I have heard good things about the Rusty's 6", and the price is about right for what I would spend.

However if cash is not an issue, I would go RE all the way.

Skyjacker, I honestly know very little of them, except that the cost is very high. Every article I have read about them is in conjunction with a rockrawling rig. So for everyday use...?

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2003, 08:12 AM   #3
xj9598
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm looking for lifts also and what I have found so far is that the RE lift may not be complete(in the components list it doesn't list shocks). Rusty's, compared to that, is more complete. Don't hold me to this, but I have found nothing to disprove this. All i have heard abou skyjacker is that it is expensive and the cradle for the rock ready lifts may crack.

If you do decide to buy the RE check out 4x4groupbuy.com.
Unread 04-06-2003, 08:21 AM   #4
lookinformud

I voted for rusty's as #1 choice. Thats only because i run rusty's 4.5" lift, and i have to say I am completely satisfied with it. But on the other i hand i threw a vote for RE. I have heard RE is the best but a bit pricey.Also, like was said up there it is not complete.However u can order it complete. I called asked a price with shocks it was almost 2000 more than i paid for rusty's,with adding on the steering box brace.But really its just up to you.
lookinformud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2003, 07:58 PM   #5
booyeah1980

Rustys all the way

Id get the springs from Rustys, but try to stay away from their shocks, not too great quality. §Booyeah§
Unread 04-06-2003, 10:57 PM   #6
RockinXJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

My lift is a mix of Skyjacker and ProComp springs, Teraflex adjustable lower control arms, JKS Quicker disconnects that are adjustable for 2" to 7" of lift, ProComp adj. trac bar, SJ extended brake lines, and a Rancho t-case drop. Rides good, but the ProComp ES 3000 shocks are pretty stiff, just like the Rancho RS 5000's

If you light a fire for a man you'll keep him warm for a day, but if you light a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life!

I ♥ Transitive Pictograph Verbalizations
RockinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2003, 12:50 AM   #7
thegoofster

As far as the shocks go I still haven’t figured out yet so that doesn’t really matter. I was thinking about some RS 9000 or the Pro Comp Version of them (MX6) or the New Bilstein 7100 but I heard great things about the Dotsch techs (and my friend is the owners cousin) so that doesn’t really factor into the lift. I am more worried about a trouble free, functional lift that does what I want without breaking me. I can buy the shocks separate. Let’s face it, they are going to include the cheapest thing they can get away with, anyway.

Price, well, when is that NOT a factor. I would like to stay around 2k. which is why I am hesitant to do pieces from different kits only because it seems like it would end up costing more in the long run. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I have National Spring just down the freeway way from me that will build me custome springs but they run $500-$700 for the rear and $250 for the front. Kinda steep but they ride like a dream. I was thinking about going that way, but with everything else I need, I’m looking at closer to $3500

From what I hear Rusty makes a very compete kit but his springs sag. RE makes a great kit, but at a price (although not as much as some) . And no one knows about Tomken. I’m really torn between RE and Rusty. The other Question I had is about the long are kits. Are they worth it???
1992 XJ - 4" lift, 31" tires, 8.8 in the rear, 4.11s, frame stiffeners, skids all the way around. 1988 xj - 8" lift, 35" tires, D44 alloy shafts, boxed in frame, locked, skids on everything, K&N, Flow master Exhaust...
Unread 04-07-2003, 08:30 PM   #8
thegoofster

Long ARM kits. I can't type.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.