RE or Rusty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > RE or Rusty?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-31-2003, 08:30 AM   #1
BrianXJ

RE or Rusty?

Thursday I am going to put in an order for my lift kit. For the longest time I had been set on getting the RE 5.5" lift, just looks flawless. But, the other day I came upon the Rusty 6" lift, which is actually less expensive then the Rubicon Express lift. I'm now somewhat undecided and am looking for some guiding words and testimonials. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BrianXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2003, 09:47 AM   #2
BrianXJ

Come on guys. I know you have something for me.
Unread 07-31-2003, 10:22 AM   #3
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have the RE 4.5" kit and am pleased with the quality. Many of the parts are the same as the RE 5.5" kit and I will be upgrading to that kit when funds allow. In my opinion it is worth the extra little money to get the quality RE parts.

I have no first-hand experience with Rustys suspension products, but based on the number of complaints and problems people seem to have, it would seem to me that the quality must not be as good as RE. Another thing to consider is unless Rusty's 6" kit is a long arm, there is no way it will ride better than RE 5.5" kit with the control arm drop brackets.

Just my opinion...

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2003, 10:25 AM   #4
BrianXJ

Thanks alot Eric, that was just what I needed to know I should stick with RE.
Unread 07-31-2003, 11:58 AM   #5
Bear549

I cannot tell you anything about Rusty's 6", but I can tell you that the ride, quality and installation of the RE kit is top notch. The only issues I had/have with the RE kit is figuring out what is what when it came time to installing the drop brackets. Jason at jeepin.com has some great step by step installing photos that really help out. Not to menion that there is several people here that have done this install if you have any questions. The biggest problems I had with my install was getting some of the old bolts out. Don't let the 5.5" compared to a 6" frighten you any, it is actually 6.5".
Bear549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2003, 03:28 PM   #6
isezumi00

dont quote me on this, but I think the reason why Rustys lifts are generally fairly cheaper then others is because they dont provide the parts need for all those accessory modification to make the lift 100%, stuff like LCAs, UCAs a SYE, brake line extenders...stuff like that.
isezumi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2003, 03:37 PM   #7
jon campbell

i have the rustys 6" kit and have had problems with the bushings. the kit was complete though with lcas and brakelines etc
[SIZE=1]94 XJ 4.0 HO/inline 6 5sp Rusty's 6.5" lift w/ 2" spacers, Rustys steering conversion, RE Control arm drop brackets, RE Hack n Tap SYE, Tom Woods Driveshaft, 33" Tires, 4.56 gears, TJ fender flares, BPI Front winch bumper, CRS rear bumper, K&N air filter, Flowmaster exhaust, M.O.R.E "bomb proof" motor mounts, Surco roof rack [/SIZE]

[B]MY PICS[/B]
www.northeastcrawlers.com/rides/jon.htm

[B]MEMBERS OF...[/B]
NORTHEASTCRAWLERS.COM
BLWA.ORG (BLACKLISTWHEELERSASSOC.)
jon campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 12:40 AM   #8
xjeeper04

I also have a rusty's kit an i think his stuff is awesome...i have never have a problem
Performance Exhaust system
xjeeper04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 05:43 AM   #9
Kicken_Jeep

Im in the same boat as u BrianXJ, but I looking at the 3 inch lift.. Can someone tell me if the RE comes with shocks.. I looked and I did not see any, but when I looked at the 2" BB it came with shocks, so....
[size=4][color=white]WHITE JEEP CLUB #21[/color][/size]=====96 XJ, 30" Goodyear MT/R's on 15 X 7 AR 767's, Rusty 3" Lift and AirTube with K&N, Class III Hitch, SilverStars, Plus a 3G system..[size=2][color=white]Future Upgrades[/color][/size] Come check out my Jeep!!!!
[url]http://www.sounddomain.com/id/kicken_jeep[/url]
Kicken_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 07:29 AM   #10
BrianXJ

I do believe that the RE lift kits do come with shocks, as the 5.5" lift definitely does.

Now that more posts have come in, both sides have been presented fairly, but now what is pussing me over is that the RE lift is actually 6.5" upon install. As for the problems, I have an uncle whose garage I use and he has air-powered tools. Should eat up those old bolts.

Thanks alot for all of the input guys. I'll be back here later if I have any install questions.
Unread 08-01-2003, 07:35 AM   #11
Bear549

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianXJ
I do believe that the RE lift kits do come with shocks, as the 5.5" lift definitely does.
RE's kits do NOT come with the shocks, they give you several choices and give you a discount if you but them with the kit. They are not included...!
Unread 08-01-2003, 07:43 AM   #12
BrianXJ

Are you sure that they aren't included with the 5.5" lift?
Unread 08-01-2003, 07:45 AM   #13
BrianXJ

http://www.redrock4x4.com/re/xj.html

Check out that link. This company definitely sells it with shocks. As to the quality of the shocks I don't know, but it DOES come with shocks.
Unread 08-01-2003, 07:55 AM   #14
jeepnut

I have the just purchased Rustys lift and I find it to be excellant great quality for the dollar and I think they want it that way I did not install it yet but in the next week i'll let you know what i think about it
and bad paint but who cares it runs great
79 cj5 restore frame off
jeepnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 07:56 AM   #15
Bear549

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianXJ
http://www.redrock4x4.com/re/xj.html

Check out that link. This company definitely sells it with shocks. As to the quality of the shocks I don't know, but it DOES come with shocks.
They are selling it with shocks..! I know if you go through RE directly, you would have to pay $125 extra for the shocks and this company is giving them away with it. I got my kit from Dirk at DPG Offroad for $1143 without shocks, so it is about equal. But you throw in the free shipping... Good deal...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.