RE Drop Down Brakcets and Rock Crawling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > RE Drop Down Brakcets and Rock Crawling

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 06-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
rc76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

RE Drop Down Brakcets and Rock Crawling

Looking to get some feed back from those who are/have run drop down brackets and do heavy rock crawling.

I am running roughly 5" of lift and 33", may be upgrading to 36s soon if a deal is worked out on a trade.

I would prefer long arms but don't have cake for them. I'm possibly getting a set of used drop down brackets for real cheap $.

98 Cherokee Sport- 4.5", AA SYE and TW Shaft, 33" Cooper Discoverer STTs, XCr8000, Jcroffroad Stage 2 Winch Bumper , 60" Hi-lift, Cobra Ultra III, Gragar Soft 8s, Detour Tail Bone, jcr Offroad Stage 2 Sliders, RockCrusher Diff Covers Front, Lockright in the front, Aussie in the Rear (Ford 8.8) with 488s... More $$$ for Bank Account (On Back Order...)

99 Cherokee Sport- Stock and Staying that Way (Wife's DD)

Christian Jeep Group Member #160
rc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc76 View Post
Looking to get some feed back from those who are/have run drop down brackets and do heavy rock crawling.
I had them for several years. They work well and hold up just fine in the rocks so long as you also have the support brackets.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
XJohnnyC

I've had the same set of TM drop brackets on my 96 XJ, 98 XJ, and now my 92 MJ. When they were on the XJs, I had the RE support brackets.

I've run them on the Rubicon Trail four times, Moab five times, along with Calico, Johnson Valley, et al.

Some people will say that the drop brackets hang too low and will get snagged on rocks. Which is true to some extent, I suppose. But as long as you keep your tires on TOP of the rocks where they're supposed to be, you'll be fine.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
rc76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJohnnyC View Post
I've had the same set of TM drop brackets on my 96 XJ, 98 XJ, and now my 92 MJ. When they were on the XJs, I had the RE support brackets.

I've run them on the Rubicon Trail four times, Moab five times, along with Calico, Johnson Valley, et al.

Some people will say that the drop brackets hang too low and will get snagged on rocks. Which is true to some extent, I suppose. But as long as you keep your tires on TOP of the rocks where they're supposed to be, you'll be fine.
As for keeping the tires on the rocks where they belong... I hear you... however the type of wheeling I do not one or two rocks in a location... is more of rock garden with large jagged rocks everywhere. (Which often requires me to drag my rig across)

So far I have clasped my tranny plan, unibody is flatted half way on one side (the other side isn't pretty), the exhaust though tucked is flattened a lot more than it was at the beginning of the season (has been taken off twice), and the rear passenger floor is push up about 2 or 3". And of course the stock TC cross member is flat, twisted, and in need of replacing. And this isn't everything...

(I have a bunch of guys helping me with a hybrid cage build... if time allows we are going to do the tc and tranny skid also)

And sometimes... rocks just don't let you stay on top of them! lol
98 Cherokee Sport- 4.5", AA SYE and TW Shaft, 33" Cooper Discoverer STTs, XCr8000, Jcroffroad Stage 2 Winch Bumper , 60" Hi-lift, Cobra Ultra III, Gragar Soft 8s, Detour Tail Bone, jcr Offroad Stage 2 Sliders, RockCrusher Diff Covers Front, Lockright in the front, Aussie in the Rear (Ford 8.8) with 488s... More $$$ for Bank Account (On Back Order...)

Unread 06-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
rc76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

[s]I've run a search but haven't found anything yet... can someone help with a link to RE drop bracket install thread? [/s]

Thanks!

PS- Found a copy here http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/RE9900-9905.pdf

Last edited by rc76; 06-15-2010 at 11:11 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.