RC shackle relocation TOO high....suggestions? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > RC shackle relocation TOO high....suggestions?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory4um View Post
Well, you can't just throw spacers on and call it a day...
Your still lifting a jeep and now your steering, drivetrain and handling components are all out of whack. If everything on his jeep is adjustable, thn maybe he can get away with it. But still would require a ton of adjusting and /or replacing of some other components..
Thanks tips.

I wasn't suggesting that's all it would take, I was suggesting to just lift it to 4-5" and leave the rear alone.

Unread 08-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefXJ View Post
I have yet to test drive it so I dont know if there are any vibes but unfortunately,I have pulled all the tricks out of the "bag" (shims and TC drop) so I don't know what I will do if they arise.
Hell get out there and drive it then. You may already have vibrations to work out.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1 View Post
Hell get out there and drive it then. You may already have vibrations to work out.
True, it needs to be done, but I still need to torque the shackles and it was late when I packed it in last night.
But the vibes isn't the issue, it's the hot rod like stance that is bothering me.
HiDefXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

It'll settle over time. Mine took about 3 weeks to settle in after install. Dropped down about a half inch.
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:12 AM   #20
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Your pinion is too high for use with standard U-joints at the T-case end.
What degree shims did you use? The relocation brackets add to the pinion angle, so you may not need the shims.
Without a SYE / DBL Cardan drive shaft, the T-case output shaft and the pinion should be parallel.
(REF: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...n-Measurements)

As for the "hot rod stance", some people here think it improves the aerodynamics
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #21
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
Your pinion is too high for use with standard U-joints at the T-case end.
What degree shims did you use? The relocation brackets add to the pinion angle, so you may not need the shims.
Without a SYE / DBL Cardan drive shaft, the T-case output shaft and the pinion should be parallel.
(REF: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...n-Measurements)

As for the "hot rod stance", some people here think it improves the aerodynamics

Seems to me that if the u joint angles matched when at rest, then there would be a greater possibility of binding/breaking when the rear is dropped down.

I need to analyze that link you sent me closer, its a lot to absorb in one sitting.

As for the shims, I feel like they were 2 * shims, but that may be inaccurate. It was 3 years ago that they were installed.
Unread 08-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Go back to a stock pack and 2" shackle. Done.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #23
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Go back to a stock pack and 2" shackle. Done.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "stock pack"?
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #24
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm to the point now that I am ready to remove the RC relocators and replace them with 1-2inch shackles but then I remember why I went this route in the first place, the rear sag and the shackle clunk.
Everyone says boomerang shackles suck, no one condones cutting and folding the shackle housing out of the way. If I put extended shackles on, I will still have the clunk.
Grrrrr......
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #25
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Remove a leaf from the 3" packs and get 1" shackles. Boomerang shackles should be ok on the relocators, they just suck on the stock location. You don't want 2" shackles in the stock spot, they put way too much stress on the leaf packs and you get a damn near vertical shackle angle.
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #26
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Remove a leaf from the 3" packs and get 1" shackles. Boomerang shackles should be ok on the relocators, they just suck on the stock location. You don't want 2" shackles in the stock spot, they put way too much stress on the leaf packs and you get a damn near vertical shackle angle.
Thanks for all of your advice. I am going to remove the relocators and go with 1 inch shackles and see where I stand. I doubt I will remove a leaf and I will probably deal with the passenger clunk. Maybe even cut and fold the rear of the shackle housing.

Hopefully this will also cure some of my driveline angles.
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #27
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If you decide to not use the relocators, I call dibs on them if you want sell them. Seriously pm me if want to sell them. Hope the change works for you.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1 View Post
If you decide to not use the relocators, I call dibs on them if you want sell them. Seriously pm me if want to sell them. Hope the change works for you.
I will let you know if it comes to that.
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ive had a lot of noise and a rough ride from a very similar setup. I found the RC brackets to be hitting shackles... weather I went with stock ones or with extended. They tend to force your springs flat if you use the rear 2 holes, and bring the rear end up high if you use the others. Im figuring on keeping them, but plan on moving the lift up a bit so they would factor in correctly.

I will say the amount that the SRB allow the back to droop is impressive.
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #30
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I really believe that these brackets are intended for people who have stock leaf springs that are experiencing sag.
My findings anyway....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.