RC shackle relocation TOO high....suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > RC shackle relocation TOO high....suggestions?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

RC shackle relocation TOO high....suggestions?

Just got through installing my RC shackle relocation boxes on my 2k cherokee and it sits too high.
Background:
Has a 3 in. Rustys lift but the rear was starting to sag and the stock pass side shackle was clunking when off road so I added these relocation boxes.
Also using the factory shackles.

Web site states that they will net between 1 and 1.5 in lift. I needed a little bit of lift not a lot.

I measured the space between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel flare. When I began it was at 5 inches, now it is at 7 inches! WTF!!???

I am in the center of the 5 holes and if I go back, It will be even taller!
What can I do? There is a serious rake to my rig, like I have air shocks on it!

Thanks

HiDefXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Pics? Mid hole should net you higher lift than the others. I've got the same boxes on 2" (2" prior to the install) lift and netted about an inch in the rear with my 2" shackles one hole towards the rear from the middle.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Pics? Mid hole should net you higher lift than the others. I've got the same boxes on 2" (2" prior to the install) lift and netted about an inch in the rear with my 2" shackles one hole towards the rear from the middle.
I won't have pics til tomorrow but it seems to me that I can't move to the next hole forward because the shackle angle will be too extreme (over 45 degrees) and almost pushed up into the relocation box.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

What's in your rear lift now? Stock shackles or lifted? 3" leafs, AAL, ect? The relocation boxes do a lot better with extended shackles over the stock ones.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What's in your rear lift now? Stock shackles or lifted? 3" leafs, AAL, ect? The relocation boxes do a lot better with extended shackles over the stock ones.
It has a Rustys 3 in lift with the full leaf packs. Factory shackles.
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe ditch the relocation brackets and go with a set of stock shackles from a comanche - found cheap at junkyard. These shackles are .75" (iirc) over stock cherokee shackles.

I'm running 4.5" coils up front.
In the rear i have OME heavy duty 2" leafs, relocation brackets and comanche shackles = 4.5"
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have the RC kit, and using RC extended shackles netted me 2".
IIRC I used the 2nd hole from the front and have close to a 45* angle.
Some people have suggested to others that they could cut out the rear portion of the RC bracket so the factory shackle doesn't hit, but I have no idea what that would do to the integrity of the setup.

There is another brand of bracket that installs in place of the factory pocket which nets you far less lift, but it requires that you cut out the factory pocket.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Toss a spacer on top of your front coils to level it and call it a day. 4.5-5" is a perfect height for an XJ running anything between 32-37" depending you how much metal you are willing to trim or your degree of bumpstopping.

Plus by the time you go wheeling a bit and work the rear leaf pack a bit with the change in the shackle angle you may find it settles in a bit.

If you wanted NO lift you could have opted for one of the zero lift relocation options.
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I wanted to raise the rear a little and I found this relocation kit on clist new for $45.
It was a PITA to install due to the amunt of rust on the OE bolts and also because there was a huge amount of powdercoating in the threads of the RC units so I'd really like to keep them on if possible.
Anyway, the whole reason I went with the 3 inch lift in the first place was so that I wouldnt change the driveline geometry that much. Otherwise, the additional 2 inches would be welcome.
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
Toss a spacer on top of your front coils to level it and call it a day
Well, you can't just throw spacers on and call it a day...
Your still lifting a jeep and now your steering, drivetrain and handling components are all out of whack. If everything on his jeep is adjustable, thn maybe he can get away with it. But still would require a ton of adjusting and /or replacing of some other components..
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here it is with the RC shackle relocators now--

And the shackle angle--

Unread 08-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I see your point but it really doesn't to raked. I would drive it a bit with the relocators on and see if it sags a bit. Check it in a few days and see if it improves/drops. Like said earlier, your at the 3 in. mark and going any higher may cost you a chunk 'o' change.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

With my 3 inch lift and the additional shackle height, should I be worried about too much angle on the driveline? I'm not sure how much angle is too much, especially when wheeling.
Here are the angles....

Unread 08-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
X-Rated
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Although i have more lift there is almost the exact rake on my XJ and i did it puposly. I leave it bro, it looks good and if you want it completely level like others said run it a while and it may settle a bit.

IMO nothing looks worse than the saggy rear or "pre-runner" set up as some call it. Lofl

Front shaft looks great, rear may be a little steep but mine is about the same (after t case drop and six degree shims)
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
Although i have more lift there is almost the exact rake on my XJ and i did it puposly. I leave it bro, it looks good and if you want it completely level like others said run it a while and it may settle a bit.

IMO nothing looks worse than the saggy rear or "pre-runner" set up as some call it. Lofl

Front shaft looks great, rear may be a little steep but mine is about the same (after t case drop and six degree shims)
I have yet to test drive it so I dont know if there are any vibes but unfortunately,I have pulled all the tricks out of the "bag" (shims and TC drop) so I don't know what I will do if they arise.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.