Rattle When Driving and Death Wobble at 55mph. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rattle When Driving and Death Wobble at 55mph.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
RHolbrook609
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Rattle When Driving and Death Wobble at 55mph.

I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee. Last month, I started getting a wierd rattle sound when driving. It only happens when the wheels are in motion. It stays rattling when I put it in Neutral to. Then on top of that, my Jeep now gets a death wobble only at 55mph. If it is below it, it doesnt wobble and once it is over it stops wobbling. Anybody out there that can tell me what I need to do to get this rattle sound gone and the death wobble!?!?!?! Thanks!!!

Unread 02-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
RHolbrook609
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Also forgot to mention that the rattle sound gets worse as the tires spin faster.
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
mgold1981
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Could be as simple as some mud stuck in one of your wheels throwing off the balance of your wheel, so I would start by checking that. Have your wheels and tires balanced and inspect your tires- could have a belt separation. Could be something involving your drive-shaft(s), so check them also. Have your front end and suspension checked out also.
I had pretty radical "death wobble" after installing a 2" BB lift but it went away with new tires and an alignment.
mgold1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
MckayMan
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You are not alone. I have had the same death wobble start up a few months after my 2.5" OME install. I have my tires rotated and balanced every year, and check the pressure in every tire once a week. (35 psi)

The death wobble scared the bee-gees out of me.
140K Miles
2.5" OME lift.
MckayMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death wobble , rattling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.