Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

random low idle/stall problem

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  jcool3 
#1 ·
hey everyone im tring to figure out a problem with my moms 2000 cherokee 4.0..
every few days in the mourning when she starts up the jeep to go to work it idle lower than usual and when she puts it in drive it will stall out and she will end up having to gas it causually as she puts it into gear :rolleyes: and eventually after the jeep is warmed up its fine?!?!..i cant figure it out
p.s.
it has about 80k on it and it has no check engine lights either :confused:

#7 ·
hey everyone..its 6 amish and i just went to start it and its still doing it..one thing i checked the voltage when it was running yesterday after it was warmed up and at idle it was holding 13.5..i noticed this mournin it was slow to crank over and the volt gauge would drop and it would stall if i left trin to run without me leaving my foot on the pedal?!?!

#9 ·
Try the fuel filter...might be a case of bad gas...not that I'm having the same issues caused by bad gas clogging my filter...now to find out if it took my pump also.

#10 ·
its just odd because sundevilkid said something about the battery and having the slow crank/low volts at idle..wondering if changed the battery or alternator would cure it..well scratch that one cause i know the alternator works because the volts went up when i would rev the engine..anyone thinking the battery may be the culprit??

#15 ·
hmmm that's interesting.. I've noticed that my jeep is cranking slowly since it's gotten cold.. not sure how old my battery is because it dosn't have any markings on it. it's just a plain black battery. OEM maybe? on a 92'? hard to believe. I'll look into a new one, maybe that will help my cold start hesitation also.

#17 ·
I've had this problem real bad... so I might change my battery. If I take my foot off the gas at all it stalls, but its only been the last two days and its been ~15-20 degrees so its the temperature. After I run it for 5 minutes its fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.